Director Of Individual Giving
Title: Director of Individual Giving
Reports to: Chief Partnerships Officer
Location: Remote with regular travel for events, staff retreats, and for advocacy purposes
Status: Full-Time (40 hours/week), permanent, exempt
Compensation: $95,000/year (if US resident/green card holder). A competitive benefits package includes full health, vision, and dental insurance, IRA contribution, generous vacation package, paid holidays and sick days, flexible schedule and work-from-home options, supportive and team-oriented work environment, and more. If international hire - a competitive consultant package.
The Director of Individual Giving (DoIG) will accelerate the revenue growth of Health In Harmony to meet the urgency of the climate crisis. The DoIG will work with HIH’s Chief Partnerships Officer, Founder, Executive Director, all staff, and Board of Directors (BoD) to focus on building long-term relationships with individual donors and to develop strategies that will finance the organization’s scaling ambitions.
About Health In Harmony
In a business-as-usual scenario, global temperatures will rise at least 1.5 degrees Celsius over pre-industrial averages by 2030, according to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Without immediate action to prevent this rise, Earth and its diverse ecosystems will face irreversible negative impacts by mid-century.
Health In Harmony is a nonprofit organization working to reverse the deforestation of tropical rainforests as a solution to global heating. It does this by partnering with rainforest communities. Health In Harmony's Radical Listening™ approach facilitates community-designed solutions to which it brings the necessary resources, such as primary healthcare, organic farming skills, reforestation, and small business creation.
Health In Harmony started working in Indonesia in 2007, and in 2019 it expanded to Brazil and Madagascar. In Indonesia, Health In Harmony has reduced the number of logging households surrounding Gunung Palung National Park by 90%, reduced infant mortality by 67%, and protected $65 million worth of above-ground carbon. These results gave Health In Harmony the confidence to replicate its model in other rainforests around the world. Over the past three years, Health in Harmony has doubled its donor base and revenue while maintaining high levels of donor retention and engagement.
Health In Harmony’s annual revenue has grown year-on-year 50%-80% in the last five years. The new DoIG will be the primary engine for continued revenue growth from individuals toward $5M+ total raised annually from individuals by the end of 2025, and then eclipsing $10M+ raised annually by the end of 2028, understanding that HIH’s global scaling ambitions will cost approximately $175M in the next 8 to 10 years.
The DoIG will report to the Chief Partnerships Officer and serve on the Leadership Team. The DoIG will design, lead, monitor, and expand the individual giving strategy for Health In Harmony to fit its ambition to scale.
- Develop and steward a portfolio of high net worth individual prospects, for acquisition of new donors and upgrade of existing donors, with long-range action plans tailored to each individual, to ensure an increasingly robust individual giving program accounts for HIH’s global annual revenue.
- Personal portfolio includes the identification, cultivation, one-on-one solicitation, and stewardship of major and planned giving prospects at the six- and seven-figure levels.
- Strategically marshal the energy and time of the Founder, Chief Partnerships Officer, Executive Director, board members and other HIH colleagues to support major gifts, portfolio cultivation.
- Lead the annual process of developing the major gifts program’s collective work plan, including setting goals, objectives, strategies, activities, and revenue targets.
- Participate in all aspects of the gift cycle, working both with prospect management and independently to initiate contacts with potential donors.
- Develop appropriate cultivation and solicitation strategies to move prospects in an appropriate and timely fashion toward solicitation and closure.
- Manage sensitive information and adhere to confidentiality policies regarding privacy of donor database information.
- Prepare and manage the annual major gifts revenue and expense budget. Includes monitoring progress, re-forecasting, and adjusting work plans where needed to meet goals.
- Ensure application of proven, as well as creative and innovative, major gifts fundraising tools, systems, practices, and approaches.
- Oversee a robust and results-oriented major gifts program that is effective at every stage in the donor cycle, develops and utilizes compelling collateral materials, fundraising packages, proposals and impact reports, and existing and new in-person engagement opportunities and events, and supports the development and completion of targeted fundraising campaigns.
- Travel domestically and internationally for fundraising purposes as required.
- Understand both the extraordinary disruptivity of the HIH mission (what differentiates HIH’s impact from all other similar organizations), and the fundraising potential of this planetary health mission.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
- 5 years or more of development experience with an international climate or development organization
- Bachelor’s degree (or higher, preferably)
- Comparable training and/or experience may be substituted when appropriate.
- The ability to work well in a team environment with other members of the partnerships team as well as other HIH teams. Ability to work collaboratively to meet the fundraising goals of the organization.
- Demonstrated success in individual donor work, including the identification, cultivation, and direct solicitation of major six- and seven-figure gifts.
- Demonstrated success working with organizational leaders such as a Founder, an Executive Director, board members, or other team members to engage and solicit individual donors.
- Demonstrated success managing and prioritizing all tasks associated with an annualized major gift program, including overseeing the production of successful and compelling appeals, proposals, and packages; experience using donor tracking systems and donor research in support of major donor prospecting and cultivation; and experience overseeing analytics processes for data-driven decision-making.
- Knowledge of Salesforce preferred
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Health In Harmony's staff and Board reflect the world’s diversity and understand that the climate crisis is built upon colonialism and generations of systematic racism and exploitation. Health In Harmony is committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of inclusion, mutual respect, support, and connectedness. As such, people from the countries where HIH currently works (Indonesia, Madagascar, Brazil) and aims to work across the tropical bioregions will be prioritized in hiring.
Please. This is a rolling recruitment and the candidates who fit the criteria outlined in the job opening will be immediately invited for an interview.
The deadline for submission of candidatures may be extended if the position is not filled by October 4, 2023. Inquiries regarding the position are welcome and can be addressed to.