People and Culture Specialist
About Free the Slaves
Founded in 2000, Free the Slaves (FTS) is a pioneer and leader in the global effort to eradicate modern slavery. Our mission is to end the conditions that allow modern slavery to exist. Free the Slaves works at the grassroots level to empower vulnerable individuals and communities to achieve freedom from slavery and develop resistance to slavery. We work with and through local partners to build the capacity to combat slavery and trafficking. We advocate for policies and laws that help in the fight against slavery. We are committed to rigorous assessment of our work and scrupulous integrity in the use of donor funds. Headquartered in Washington, D.C., with programs in the Caribbean, Latin America, Africa, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia, Free the Slaves has a diverse and expert staff and a highly engaged and supportive board of directors. Free the Slaves runs the Freedom from Slavery Forum and it is a member of the Global Coordinating Group (GCG) of the Alliance 8.7 where it is one of the three organizations representing Civil Society. For more information, see.
The Peoples’ Culture Specialist is responsible for oversight of FTS policies and procedures, including working with the Finance team, and providing support to the staff, on matters related to human resources.
The Peoples’ Culture Specialist is responsible for managing human resources integral to the organization's functioning. She/He collaborates with senior management and other relevant staff members to strengthen various processes and procedures and ensure an empowering work environment, compliance with all legal and financial obligations, and for coordinating with external vendors and consultants.
The Peoples’ Culture Specialist reports directly to the Executive Director.
· Implement a work culture that is conducive of safe work environment
· Manage employees’ relationship with the organization and cross-team relations
· Assist employees as needed in case of issues and challenges
· Coordinate recruitment and hiring with the Executive Director and department heads.
· Ensure required policies and processes are complied with, and maintain a procurement/recruitment file, for all staff and consultant hires.
· Ensure effective orientation schedules and on-boarding procedures for new employees.
· Understand and ensure HR laws and regulations are applied.
· Ensure compliance with grant agreements are implemented
· Maintain updated and legally compliant personnel files.
· Oversee benefits administration and FTS’ Time and Attendance system, with the Head Finance.
· Assist in developing and updating job descriptions.
· Work with the ED to coordinate annual and mid-year evaluation processes.
· Lead the contractual components of consultant recruitment, including reviewing consultancy contracts for legal, FTS policy and financial compliance.
· Assist with end of engagement process, including implementation of exit checklist and conducting exit interviews.
· Support intern recruitment and on-boarding of interns
· Strong organizational and time management skills.
· Familiarity with global and people’s diverse culture
· At least 8 years of professional experience working in non-profit operational management with global programming, including experience in human resource and operational management.
· Master’s degree, ideally in business administration, law, nonprofit management or a related field.
· Passion and commitment to ending modern slavery.
· Human Resources training and experience.
· Experience in an international NGO setting/understanding of international programs challenges and cultural diversity
· Fluency in one or more of FTS’s working languages (French, Spanish, Arabic preferred).
Work hours, Salary and benefits:
This is a part time position, 3 days per week.
Salary range for this position is $US 35,000 - $US 50,000.
Given this is part time and does not qualify for some benefits but we are open to discuss options.
Work location: United States of America
This position is based in the United States of America with preference in East Coast but not required. Option for remote work is available.