This important position offers a great degree of flexibility in contributing to Safeguard Defenders’ overall advocacy work and impact. You will have ample space to advance professionally within the role while helping a small yet vocal human rights organization grow and have a greater impact in the fields of human rights, rule of law and countering transnational repression by authoritarian states.
(SD) is a decentralized pan-Asian human rights organization that supports local activities that contribute to the protection of human rights, promotes the rule of law, and enhances the ability of local civil society and rights defenders in some of the most closed political environments in Asia. It also undertakes extensive research and releases cutting-edge reports and briefings, which serve as the basis for targeted advocacy campaigns with national and multilateral institutions.
Safeguard Defenders has core staff and partners spread across Europe and Southeast Asia. It is a registered foundation with head offices in Madrid, Spain, and a Representative Office in Taipei, Taiwan.
Applicants for this position must have the right to work and be located in the European Union. Safeguard Defenders’ staff is located across several countries and time zones, so flexibility and ability to work independently is a key prerequisite. Most work will be conducted via online channels.
The advocacy assistant will assist the Campaign Director in the day-to-day activities related to SD’s advocacy work.
- Keeping of daily schedule and coordination across SD departments;
- Assisting in the preparation and follow-up to meetings;
- Preparation of dedicated briefings;
- Preparation of submissions to UN organs;
- Preparation of other advocacy materials (factsheets, summaries, infographics etc.);
- Drafting and maintaining advocacy management documents and plans;
- Assistance in direct action cases in the defense of rights defenders targeted by transnational repression around the world (information collection, liaison with police, support to asylum seekers, working with extradition processes, etc);
- Logistical planning for, and assisting with, events, conferences and briefings;
- Assistance in preparing information for regular grant reporting as related to advocacy work;
- Administrative tasks as required for fulfilment of grant reporting obligations;
- Assist with advocacy research; and
- Public relations work.
SD is a flexible organization that likes to ensure growth and opportunities for its employees. Depending on the final candidate, additional tasks and responsibilities will be assigned based on the interests, background and aptitude of the successful applicant.
For safety reasons, under no circumstance is a SD employee allowed to travel to territories controlled by the CCP (including HK).
This is a full-time position, starting with a one-year contract, with the possibility to transfer to an indefinite contract thereafter. Start date is as soon as possible, pending selection of suitable candidate.
Based on Spanish employment law.
Because of time zone differences, you may occasionally need to work outside of normal hours to accommodate meetings and events taking place in Asia or North America.
- Fluent English (written and spoken);
- Educational and/or professional background in executive assistant positions;
- Knowledge of and experience with online management tools;
- Able to thrive in what can best be described as a ‘start-up’ environment. This means you must be able to work independently, manage your own time, and handle an uneven workload;
- Ability to multitask and coordinate others. You will be responsible for keeping track of deadlines and ensuring quality of work submitted;
- Based in and permitted to work in the European Union.
- Experience within the non-profit sector, or small business sector’
- Prior experience with project management;
- Strong written and spoken skills in a second language.
- Prior experience with human rights advocacy or related work;
- Experience in media relations or public facing work;
- Chinese language skills;
- Prior experience in, or knowledge of, China.