National Digital organizer
Unemployed Workers United (UWU) works in multiple states in the Southeast and Southwest to respond to our current economic and health crisis with solutions that will allow all of us to thrive—anchored by five partnered national progressive organizations: People’s Action, United for Respect, Mijente, the National Black Worker Center, and Working Families Party. Our focus is to organize with local grassroots organizations to engage unemployed, underemployed and workers facing precarious employment in building power to change their living conditions in their cities and change the working conditions in their workplaces.
The National Digital Organizer position will ideally be based remotely. This position will work closely with staff on partnered organizing campaigns on an assigned basis. Unemployed Workers United’s Director of Digital Organizing directly supervises the National Digital Organizers. Reports to: Director of Digital Organizing
Key Relationships: Director of Digital Organizing, Deputy Director of Digital Organizing/Technology Director, National Digital Organizers, Digital Outreach Coordinators, Digital Outreach Specialists, Partners, Volunteers.
- Building and managing virtual volunteer, staff teams, and digital organizing infrastructure for partner campaigns and the UWU organizing program.
- Empowering and training volunteers and organizers with strategic partners to help run various digital organizing programs including but not limited to: moderating our Slack channels, hosting virtual trainings, managing peer-2-peer texting campaigns, providing tools technical support, compiling digital reports, and other duties assigned.
- Build the size and capacity of our UWU Digital Organizing Team through managing and executing our internal texting, email, digital fundraising, and tools training programs.
- Creating a compassionate and rich culture in virtual spaces to share our political analysis and skills with our volunteer base, strategic partners, and each other.
- Coordinate with UWU Director of Digital Organizing to provide deliverables towards digital organizing goals for the campaigns, projects, or contracts assigned to them.
- Learn and utilize data-informed digital tools and tactics to meet campaign, project, and contract deliverables to either UWU field organizing staff or strategic partners.
- Engage in digital organizing strategy with on the ground teams to achieve the most online-to-offline to offline impact that helps build a local base or political home for members, supporters, volunteers.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- 1-2 years of campaign experience as an organizer or in digital or distributed organizing
- Proficiency with digital organizing tools/systems, such as Slack, Google Drive, peer-2-peer texting platforms, data dashboards, etc.
- Experience in volunteer leadership development and managing remote volunteer teams.
- Strong technical aptitude for learning new digital tools and comfortable with technology.
- Effective communication skills and willingness to work remotely, with occasional travel.
- Strong commitment to racial, social, economic, and gender justice
- Strong commitment to independent, innovative political action by and for working people
- A goal-driven, detail-oriented self-starter and problem-solver with the ability to work independently and as part of a collaborative team
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures and challenge people to take risks to make change