Salary: Our salaries are competitive with peer organizations like private foundations, academic institutions/think tanks, and the World Bank. We adjust the salaries of remote employees using a tier system. Our pay for this role:
- Tier 1 (San Francisco Bay Area or New York City): $98,000.
- Tier 2 (all other US locations): $90,600.
- International: Custom based on location.
Benefits: Read about the benefits we offer here .
Location: Oakland, CA if working from our office, or remote within three hours of the Pacific time zone.
Flexibility: We support and encourage flexible working, including flexible hours, working remotely, and working from the office when you choose. The majority of our staff, including senior management, work flexibly in one way or another.
Timeline: We're reviewing applications on a rolling basis.
Visas: For this position we're not accepting applications from candidates who need authorization to work in the U.S.
Content Editors at GiveWell play a key role in fulfilling our commitment to transparency  and ensuring that the work we produce is accurate and high quality, so that we can direct funding as well as possible.
As a Content Editor, you will contribute to our work in a variety of ways, such as:
- Summarizing research calls. Publishing notes  from these calls helps us fulfill our commitment to transparency, keep track of what we learn from others, and check our understanding of what we learned on these calls with the people we talked to.
- Quality control. You will conduct very detailed reviews of pages we publish about our work and spreadsheets that we rely on to inform our decision making. Your work will serve as an important check on our research conclusions to increase our confidence that we're directing funding as well as possible.
- Other research and operational support. You may help out with work streams such as collecting and organizing information for research projects, assessing applications, project managing certain work streams, and/or publishing our work.
In the past, many content editors have gone on to other roles at GiveWell in areas including outreach (talking with donors about their giving and/or writing materials to share with our donors), research (grant making to our top charities, cost-effectiveness modeling, project managing our growing research work streams), donations management, and technological projects.
To be successful in this role, we expect that you:
- Can write clearly and concisely
- Have very high attention to detail
- Communicate clearly and productively with your colleagues
- Check in proactively when you're unsure about something or when you notice something that could be improved
- Are receptive to feedback and willing to provide feedback to others
Other highly desirable qualities:
- You're passionate about maximizing global well-being. GiveWell is focused on programs that target low- and low-to-middle-income countries. You want to contribute to GiveWell’s mission and are passionate about maximizing what can be accomplished with the resources available to help the people in these countries, including thinking critically about difficult tradeoffs between different good outcomes.
- You're excited to work at a growing, agile organization. GiveWell currently has about 50 full-time staff. This means that we expect a lot from each person, and we often ask people to contribute outside their core area of focus. If you like trying and learning new things, we are potentially a great fit.
There's no perfect candidate for this (or any) role; we're looking for exceptional people who want to create a world where everyone can thrive. If you think you would be excited to go to work each day as a Content Editor, please apply!
Apply here: http://www.givewell.org/about/jobs/content-editor-application . We only accept applications through our website.
You may also send additional material, such as a letter of recommendation, to support your application; this is not required. Please send those materials to firstname.lastname@example.org .
We plan to respond to all submissions. Please contact email@example.com  with any questions.
GiveWell is motivated by the simple question: how can we do as much good as possible?
In our efforts to answer this question, our staff search for and make grants to support the most cost-effective programs we can find to save and improve lives. We focus on global health and poverty alleviation programs in the lowest-income parts of the world because that is where we've found  we can have the greatest impact, according to our criteria .
In 2020, we directed over $240 million . In 2021, we anticipate directing over $400 million (our numbers were not yet final as of this writing). We aim to direct $1 billion per year by 2025 , making GiveWell one of the world's largest private funders of global development efforts.
Recent grants have supported programs that:
- Are evidence-backed, cost-effective, transparent, and in need of more funding. Many of our largest grants have supported malaria chemoprevention , antimalarial nets , vaccine incentivization , vitamin A supplementation  and deworming medication .
- Have the potential to have an outsized impact through affecting health policy. Grants have supported lead reduction , pesticide suicide prevention , alcohol control , and testing the effectiveness of face masks .
- Test our assumptions through further research, such as for antimalarial nets , water chlorination , and vaccine incentivization .
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our staff, GiveWell is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity and to making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to sex, race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, citizenship, physical or mental disability, marital status, familial status, ethnicity, ancestry, status as a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault, age, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .