Software Engineer / Full Stack Developer 🔥
About the Project
The StartOut Pride Economic Impact Index (SPEII) is a groundbreaking project to understand underrepresented communities and to drive their economic empowerment. An ambitious, industry-first research project, the Inclusion Impact Indexes measure contributions of entrepreneurs to our economy and what they could be with equal access. Currently we are analyzing all entrepreneurs, highlighting LGBTQ+ outcomes and outcomes by women entrepreneurs. Later on, we plan to better understand other underrepresented communities as well as intersectional identities.
This project is a joint effort between StartOut, the leading non-profit organization supporting LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs, and Socos Labs, a think tank run by Dr. Vivienne Ming. The insights are published on StartOut’s website and is freely accessible for public use https://startout.org/speii/ .
Socos Labs  is a mad science incubator that explores messy human problems. Socos experiments with whole new visions of work, education, innovation, and inclusive economies to inform more human-centered policy.
StartOut  accelerates the growth of the LGBTQ+ community to drive its economic empowerment, building a world where every LGBTQ+ entrepreneur has equal access to lead, succeed, and shape the workforce of the future. We offer free and highly subsidized programs to founders, including a 6-month accelerator program, mentorship, expert office hours, an investor portal, events, and extensive community building.
StartOut stands for equality and opportunity because we know that everyone deserves a chance at success. We believe giving diverse groups of people access to resources will lead to economic empowerment and uplift the LGBTQ+ community. We are a champion for undiscovered visionaries in the LGBTQ+ business community. The SPEII is a critical part of our thought leadership designed to support decision making from a wide variety of groups across the country.
StartOut is committed to improving diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging both within our own organization and within the LGBTQ+ and entrepreneurial communities. This includes initiatives and programs to empower female-identified, BIPOC and Trans/GNC community members.
About the Role
As a Full Stack Developer at StartOut, you will be in charge of building new features, improving our development systems, and advancing data capture, importing, and analysis. You will help us publish recommendations for actionable and measurable impact to improve the economic empowerment of our community. You will be responsible for changing the narrative of what underrepresented founders are contributing to our economy.
- Product building on both the backend and the front end of our research projects/products
- Integrating data sets from multiple sources and helping analyze and generating insights for high-impact reports
- Improving our current integrations, building automations in our development process
- Collaborating with the SPEII team on development and implementation, working alongside a full-time data scientist, part-time teammates, and our volunteer network
- Creating documentation for communications and hand offs in our methodology for publication
- Attending and contributing actively in team meetings, e.g., weekly team standups with teammates, partner meetings, and project collaboration meetings
- Limited work travel for team retreats, approximately 2 - 3x per year
Required Skills and Experience
- 3+ years of professional experience ideally developing public-facing or customer-facing products, tools, or websites preferred
- Experience with cloud services, preferably Google Cloud Platform
- Ability to code independently and work remotely with minimal supervision; however, you’ll have the ability to collaborate on development, attend coworking sessions, and receive mentorship
- Experience working with sensitive data and upholding strict confidentiality
- Passionate and/or experienced in supporting underrepresented communities, especially the LGBTQ+ community and underrepresented entrepreneurs
- Brings a proactive, committed, and positive attitude while working with diverse team members
- $75K - $85K annually depending on location and qualifications
- $5K annual bonus depending on team and individual KPI performance
- 401(k) plan for tax-advantaged retirement-saving
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Work from home equipment & educational stipend
We are unable to offer visa sponsorship at this time.
Equal Opportunity and Code of Conduct
Promoting diversity is at the core of StartOut's mission, and we are committed to creating and fostering a vibrant, diverse community across StartOut employees, volunteers, members, clients, and contractors. StartOut is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applicants regardless of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, neurotype, physical or mental ability, veteran status, military obligations, and marital status. In order to promote and support diversity at every level, this policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, outside vendors, members and customers, service clients, use of contractors and consultants, and dealings with the general public. Please review our code of conduct here .
Please submit both a resume and cover letter through Idealist directly.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and we are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible to start immediately.
If you have trouble submitting through the above link, have questions, or need any accommodations throughout this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .