Senior Associate - School Financial Planning & Analysis
This position will support Afton’s public charter school finance practice with a keen focus on financial projection modeling and fiscal data analysis. The position will engage in consulting projects with public charter schools of all sizes, with the goal of strengthening our clients’ capacity to achieve and maintain long-term financial sustainability.
Afton Partners creates meaningful change in our communities by transforming public policies and practices so they are effective, sustainable, and serve those who need it most. By partnering with public agencies and nonprofits in K-12 education, workforce development, early childhood, and human services, Afton builds capacity, strengthens governance, and ensures resources are aligned and equitably distributed. We prioritize taking on initiatives with the potential to rectify racial and social opportunity gaps nationwide. Since 2011, Afton has collaborated on more than 150 initiatives in 37 states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico, unlocking human potential from birth to career.
CORE VALUES AND DEI COMMITMENTS
Afton team members commit to and embody our team’s core values, which include:
Prioritize justice. We recognize the impact of historical injustice and inequity, particularly for persons of color, and are committed to prioritizing justice. We take on public policy and practice initiatives that have the potential to identify and rectify racial and social opportunity gaps in our country.
Act with integrity. We hold ourselves accountable to high standards and work diligently on behalf of our clients and the people they serve. We are honest, positive, and proactive in our pursuit of solutions and meaningful change.
Collaborate inclusively. We work together with our colleagues, clients, and constituents in ways that value diverse perspectives, opinions, and ideas. We work to share decision-making power and amplify voices that have historically been silenced. We work humbly and believe answers exist in the communities we serve – it is our job to uplift them.
Center human experience. We focus on the human experience in our interactions and in our considerations of public policy and practice solutions. We know the potential for our work to dramatically alter human lives. We therefore seek to deeply understand the lived experiences of those most likely to be impacted by our work.
Be well. We value work-life balance and provide agency for our colleagues and clients to bring their whole selves to work. We support each other, uplift each other, and have fun along the way.
- Builds financial projection models for school systems, incorporating senior management’s strategic and operational plans
- Quickly sense-checks through metrics and input assumptions in data analytics for reasonability and feasibility
- Provides analytics on key metrics for the forward-looking financial health of an organization
- Drafts communication and recommendation materials for clients with supervisor oversight
- Communicates independently with clients for tactical project matters
Our experience suggests that the following types of professional experiences and skills lend themselves to this work:
- Alignment with Afton's core values
- Advanced financial acumen and financial projection modeling skills, developing projections with minimal supervision, using reasonable and well-researched assumptions
- Demonstrates intermediate project management skills, leading workstreams, meeting project deadlines, highlighting issues, and driving towards solutions
- Demonstrates self-awareness
- Intermediate supervisory skills
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Perform effectively in a remote team environment
- Proficiency in MS Suite
- Traits including: takes initiative, problem solver, reliable team player, flexible, quick and organized, and able to take ambiguous problems and requests and structure a path for addressing them
- Minimum of 4 years of relevant work experience
Our experience suggests the following certifications and degree(s) lend themselves well to this work:
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree (for example, in finance, public policy and/or administration, education, etc.)
- Demonstrated lived experience, work experience, and/or personal interest in issues of racial equity and social justice
- Applicable experience and competencies will be considered in lieu of formal education
The salary range for this role is $90,000 - $110,000. Afton Partners offers a competitive benefits package including health, dental, and vision benefits, 401(k) match, and paid time off and leave.