We just started working with a fantastic St Cloud area national organization that has seen strong growth every year and has a truly worthwhile mission - helping strengthen communities! This dynamic Staff Accountant role will work with accounting management to perform a wide range of accounting duties. This position will be responsible for executing the tasks related to the monthly/quarterly accounting closes and ensuring the accuracy of the internal financial statements and reports. This position will report to the Accounting Manager and will work with the Senior Vice President and Controller. This role is opening because of an upcoming retirement. Strong potential for progressive growth and development. This is a great organization to work for, and this opening won't last long!
This is primarily a remote role, with only 2 days in office each month for collaboration, development, and team-building.
Ideal candidate will have 3+ years of G/L Accounting experience under their belt and have a style that works well in a laid back, team-oriented environment.
The Staff Accountant prepares and maintains financial records and reports to track the associations assets, liabilities, and other financial activities. This position requires technical skills with a strong financial background and foundation in accounting concepts (Accruals, Contingencies, Fixed Assets, Prepaid Expenses, Receivables, and Payables). The Staff Accountant will also perform account reconciliations, assist with budget and close processes, assist with internal audits, accurately maintain a general ledger and ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). Experience with analytical tools that include MS Office (Excel, Powerpoint, Word, Outlook). The Staff Accountant will work closely with senior management on accounting-related matters and utilize strong analytical and research skills to answer questions regarding financial statements and accounting procedures.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate and complete monthly recurring entries and input other general ledger entries as provided by other accounting staff. Assist in closing and tax journal entries as subsidiaries are completed each month. Assist SVP, Controller in making complex journal entries for all entities.
- Ability to create journal entries from source documents for both reoccurring and non-recurring for unique situations.
- Enter ACH and wire batches for the money market accounts into NetForum.
- Reconcile the nonprofit organizational accounts and for-profit subsidiary accounts monthly and prepare invoices.
- Print daily cash balances and update accounting worksheet with cash activity to monitor cash flow and to facilitate monthly bank reconciliation. Balance the credit card deposits to the bank credit card deposits and NetForum web batches daily.
- Reconciliation of the monthly bank statements
- Purchase, rollover, and move maturing CD’s and other cash equivalents. Reconcile investment and interest accrual accounts to the general ledger. Create records to track managed portfolio investment account including purchases, sales, realized and unrealized gains and losses. Assist the SVP & Controller with other investment reporting.
- Reconciliations of accounts payable, prepaid accounts, investments, CD’s, miscellaneous balance sheet accounts, and Deferred on a monthly basis. Assist accounting department in determination inclusion and exclusion of specific items related to AP, prepaid and deferrals.
- Reconciling and balancing the royalty and marketing payments received from our Preferred Vendor Service Providers and generating corresponding invoices. Preparing the PSP semiannual invoices.
- Assist with the vendor management process through tracking and monitoring of new and renewal contracts and assistance with due diligence process.
- Provide back-up and support other accounting support staff for daily processing as changes in workload and leave dictates. Assist in annual budget, financial audit and internal audit as requested by department.
- Perform special projects upon request of CFO, SVP, and Controller.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting (required)
- CPA preferred
- Experience working with associations and/or subsidiary entities preferred
- 3+ years of experience with accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable and general ledger
- Strong knowledge of accounting concepts, practices and procedures
- Ability to read and analyze financial reports
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Ability to use good judgment and strong problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Package (Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Intermediate or Advanced Excel required
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work independently, including strong organizational and prioritizing skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work well with other team members
- Ability to communicate effectively through email, telephone and in written form
Compensation: $60,000 to $70,000 + 6%-10% bonus
Benefits: Very generous and comprehensive benefits package