Assistant Editor 🔥
LPM Magazine, the premier business-to-business publication for retail loss prevention professionals, is looking for an assistant editor to join its growing team. The ideal candidate would be a talented early-career journalist who wants to dive in and learn about every aspect of B2B publishing, especially the digital side of the business.
Loss Prevention Magazine produces a quarterly print publication and two single-topic special editions every year. We also have a robust digital website with podcasts, whitepapers, webinars, videos, and more exclusive content. We are a niche publication that specializes in the retail loss prevention/asset protection industry. The ideal candidate should demonstrate the willingness and flexibility to learn more about this professional field to appropriately address the needs and topics most relevant to the industry through our articles and various media channels.
You will be tasked with the day-to-day posting on the website, managing our social media channels, and assisting in the production of sponsored content. You should be open to learning and growing with the publication, ultimately having the opportunity to write and edit original feature stories. This is a fantastic opportunity for a recent journalism graduate with experience working at their school newspaper or other editorial internships. If interested in the position, please read the full job description and follow the application instructions at the end.
- Post 2-3 stories on the LPM site every day.
- Source images for news stories and edit them in Photoshop.
- Manage the magazine's social media channels, crafting social posts and engaging with users on the platform, while also strategizing new ways to grow our social platform.
- Assist in producing sponsored materials with advertisers.
- Contribute content to the print magazine.
- Conduct interviews and write original stories for the website.
- Occasionally represent LPM at conferences and other industry events, writing conference recaps and covering the events on social media.
What You Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor's degree from a four-year university, with a degree in journalism, English, or communications preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Wordpress, Canva, and Photoshop preferred.
- Outstanding communication skills-should be comfortable communicating with team members and sources over the phone and via email, interviewing executives, and representing the magazine at conferences and industry events.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to handle multiple deadlines and responsibilities.
- The ability to perform and excel in a team environment.
- Knowledge of publishing processes, and experience editing others' work.
- Familiarity with Chicago Style.
- Experience with social media best practices, especially for LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Knowledge about SEO best practices and writing for the web.
- Interest in multimedia journalism, with a willingness to experiment with video.
- An innovative and flexible approach, demonstrating the ability to share new ideas as well as an aptitude for exploring and expanding creative opportunities.
- 1-3 years of writing/editing experience (school newspaper and internships okay).
Don't meet all of the requirements? Apply anyway! Use your cover letter to demonstrate your writing abilities, and to explain what makes you the right fit for this position. More than experience, we are looking for someone with a passion for journalism who wants to learn and grow as a writer and editor. We offer a flexible remote work environment, so you can work from anywhere in the U.S. (our home office hours are based on EST/CST time zones). This is an exciting time to be a part of the loss prevention industry, as organized retail crime and store safety have become national topics. We are a small team, so you will be able to gain experience in many aspects of the publishing industry! To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and 3-5 writing samples to .