Product Design Director 🔥
We're in the midst of the biggest change the automotive industry has ever seen: electrification, autonomous driving and connected vehicles. The Product Design Director for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) in Model e will develop and design the vision and implementation for future automated driving systems in close collaboration with product and engineering teams.
Do you want to change the world? The Ford Motor Company had endured and thrived for 118 years - through every imaginable challenge - because we have the vision to imagine the future and the courage to change. Ford is transforming our global automotive business to scale EVs, strengthen operations, and unlock value.
At Model e, dedicated teams within Model e will create the software platforms and fully networked vehicle architectures to support delightful, always-on and ever-improving vehicles and experiences that will allow us to deliver over 50% of our total sales in BEV and 33 million connected vehicles by 2030.
What will it be like to work on the Model e team?
We are passionate about solving hard problems. We are swift and decisive, trusting the experts, believing the data, seeking out and listening to bold intuition - regardless of the source. We are insurgents. Never satisfied, averse to complexity, suspicious of habits and open to risk. We focus on the mission and deliver with urgency and speed. We are an agile team leveraging rapidly evolving technology to innovate, fail fast and pivot. Most importantly we raise the talent bar with every hire.
What you'll be able to do:
- Develop a design vision and language to create delightful, powerful transformative connected vehicle experiences with a focus on automated driving systems.
- Collaborate with your peers in Product Management, Engineering, and other cross-functional partners to define strategies that help Customer get the most value and best experience.
- Balance forward-looking work and a high bar for quality with a bias to action and a desire to bring value to customers early and often.
- Partner with the research team to influence research questions and direction that will inform the ADAS product roadmap and connect the dots between experience research, market research, data insights, and business metrics.
- Lead workshops and other creative ideation sessions that help teams quickly understand the problem, opportunity, tradeoffs, and converge towards ways we might solve customer problems and create value.
- Contribute to Fords digital Product Design team culture key leader in Design across the company.
We want to create digital products that gets better each day at scale. We want to do this while contributing to the sustainability of our planet. We are re-founding Ford from Ford 1.0 to Ford 2.0 where we evolve from appearance-based product development to experience based product development that embraces vehicle exterior/interior, software and service.
At Ford Model e, you'll be at the cutting edge of Ford's most strategic products, designing societal needs into the heart of our next generation of products, services and experiences. At Ford, we're not just inventing the future, we're operationalizing it to help all those people move through their lives, better.
The minimum requirements we seek:
- Bachelor's Degree or a combination of education and equivalent experience
- 6 + years of relevant design experience in a commercial organization
- 5 + years' experience shipping digital products and communicating design concepts through sketches and wireframes
Our preferred requirements:
- Master's Degree
- Examples that show customer and commercial impact
- Passionate customer focus, including use of the collaboration design processes to yield best-in-class customer outcomes
- Understanding of how UX, visual design, content, research, and contribute to creating holistic, easy-to-use experiences with tried and tested approaches to get the most value from these practices.
- Ability to function independently and in a team environment, with excellent collaboration skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills; both written and verbal
- Passionate for Fords product and its customers
- Able to take a flexible approach to working with others across an enterprise, with a demonstrated ability through ambiguity
- Able to accept risk and work within current constraints, evolve core processes, and invent new ways of working.
What you'll receive in return:
As part of the Ford family, you'll enjoy excellent compensation and a comprehensive benefits package that includes generous PTO, retirement, savings and stock investment plans, incentive compensation and much more. You'll also experience exciting opportunities for professional and personal growth and recognition.
If you have what it takes to help us redefine the future of mobility, we'd love to have you join us.
Candidates for positions with Ford Motor Company must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status or protected veteran status.
At Ford, the health and safety of our employees is our top priority. Vaccination has been proven to play a critical role in combatting COVID-19. As a result, Ford has made the decision to require U.S. salaried employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless employees require an accommodation for religious or medical reasons. Being fully vaccinated means that an individual is at least two weeks past their final dose of an authorized COVID-19