Graphic Designer 🔥
Blue Bottle Coffee is a passionate and growing team of hundreds around the world, united by the simple purpose of connecting the world to delicious coffee. We roast on three coasts, make delicious drinks, clean up after ourselves, bake cookies, get change at the bank, and say please and thank you. We’re an impossibly eclectic group of coffee experts, artists, writers, sensory scientists, bakers, designers, and all-around dreamers, who also happen to be some of the most hard-working and talented in the business. Join us.
About the job:
Blue Bottle Coffee is looking for a Graphic Designer who is as passionate about design as they are about coffee. As Graphic Designer, you will add creativity and inspiration to the Creative Team, primarily across digital mediums. This role supports the design process by understanding the Blue Bottle brand and project objectives to create designs that convey beauty and visual storytelling. Working closely with the Senior Design Director, you will create high-fidelity designs from concept to completion and have a sharp eye for detail. You will exhibit a solid understanding of typography, composition, graphic and digital design and ensure all assets adhere to brand guidelines. Working within a growing, fast-paced environment, you are self-sufficient, hands-on and can demonstrate the ability to pivot quickly to meet the demands of the team. You must be highly receptive to feedback and able to work cross-functionally, as this role collaborates with Brand Marketing and E-Commerce teams. 
Candidates must be willing to work within 1 hour + or – Pacific Time Zone.
- Create visual assets using ingenuity, passion, and restraint to bring beautiful and impactful design to life, primarily across digital channels (social, email and paid ad marketing, website, etc.)
- Apply Blue Bottle style guidelines consistently across all of your projects to maintain a cohesive brand experience
- Report to the Senior Design Director and collaborate with fellow designers, writers, art directors, and internal stakeholders to deliver assets on time and of high quality
- Partner with Brand Marketing and E-Commerce teams to plan and deliver strategic marketing campaign assets from concept through execution
- Approach design projects from both brand-centric and user-experience perspectives
- Handle minor retouching for product photography to meet digital specs and sizing requirements
- Take on projects of all sizes, from day-to-day design updates and spanning to campaign concepting
- Contribute to the development of best practices, techniques, and tools to optimize team efficiency
- A passionate advocate for simplicity, restraint, and elegance as a design aesthetic
- Inspired by collaboration: you work best in a participatory team environment
- Deeply empathetic, always taking the viewpoint of our guests and how to delight them while upholding brand standards
- A professional: you are serious about your work without taking yourself too seriously
- Invigorated by feedback: you seek it out, receive it gracefully, and incorporate it into your process to create ever-more beautiful design work
- Delightful to work with, always bringing a sense of humor and infectious ‘can-do’ attitude
- Comfortable with ambiguity and adept at pivoting on direction and priorities for projects
- Skilled at managing multiple projects of varying levels of complexity and scope at once
- A link to your portfolio (including password on resume if applicable), a cover letter, and a resume that includes three professional references
- 5+ years of digital design experience, focused on one or more of the following: Brand systems, responsive design for web (mobile and desktop), E-Commerce web design, UX/UI, paid and organic social, email design
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in a design discipline (e.g. Graphic, UI/UX) or related field
- An understanding of digital trends and best practices for responsive web design, with a familiarity of HTML and CSS (base understanding of possibilities and limitations)
- Proficiency using Adobe Creative Suite (namely Photoshop, Illustrator, XD, After Effects)
- Proficiency designing web pages in Figma
- Experience with minor retouching to tailor images for digital executions
- Experience with motion graphics
- An expert eye for color and typography
- Experience with CPG industry/projects is a plus
- Last but not least, a deep love for great coffee, food, and exceptional guest experiences
- The following is a list of the physical activity, requirements, and environmental factors related to this role. Blue Bottle is committed to partnering with all candidates and employees to ensure reasonable accommodations are made to meet the following:
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word;
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction, and having the ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
- Making substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal and written documentation
- Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Occasionally walking, climbing stairs, and standing occur in this role.
- Environment: this role is protected within a building, but may be exposed to mild changes in temperature with heating or air conditioning.
- With addition for traveling roles: This role requires travel up to 15%. Additional walking, stooping, sitting, and mobility may be required. Exposure to outside environmental elements may be experienced due to travel through airports, airplanes, and in between facilities.
A few benefits we offer:
- Health, dental, and vision coverage for eligible employees starting on your first day
- 401(k) plan
- Paid time off
- Free drinks at any of our cafes and a complimentary bag of beans to take home each week
- Discounts on any Blue Bottle food items and merchandise
- This position has a minimum salary of $80,000. This salary is a good-faith estimate for this position. The final salary offer will be determined after reviewing relevant factors, which include a candidate’s qualifications and experience, where appropriate.
At Blue Bottle Coffee, you’ll be a vital part of our guests’ experience and a crucial link in delivering the most delicious coffee we can find to every person who walks through our doors, be it in person or online. If you’re ready to bring beautiful and thoughtfully rendered experiences to life, please apply and join us.
Blue Bottle is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value an open mind, dedication to work, and a collaborative spirit. We hire based on these qualities, a job’s requirements, our business’s needs, and an applicant’s qualifications. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind—in the hiring process or in the workplace.
We comply with the ADA and consider reasonable accommodation measures that may be necessary for eligible applicants/employees to perform essential functions.
We may refuse to hire relatives of present employees if doing so could result in actual or potential problems in supervision, security, safety, or morale, or if doing so could create conflicts of interest.
We will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We participate in E-Verify. We will provide the federal government with employees’ Form I-9 information to confirm authorization to work in the U.S. We will only use E-Verify once an employee has accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.
Blue Bottle requires that all of its team members are fully vaccinated (i.e., at least 14 days after the final dose of a Covid-19 vaccine) by the start of their first day of work, unless they qualify for an accommodation/exemption for medical, disability, or religious reasons.Apply for job