Web and Graphic Designer 🔥
Strong Towns, a nationally recognized non-profit organization, is seeking a dynamic individual to manage and improve our website and lead graphic design projects.
The mission of Strong Towns is to replace America’s post-war pattern of development, the Suburban Experiment, with a pattern of development that is financially strong and resilient. We believe that change will happen when there is widespread awareness of the problem, and broad, bottom-up action led by local communities and individuals across the nation.
Our goals are wildly ambitious, but we’ve made meaningful progress:
- Our influential media site reached nearly 2 million people in 2022 and is shaping the national conversation on growth, development, and the future of cities.
- We have over 3,800 members worldwide, including at least one in each U.S. state.
- Each day, we witness Strong Towns members step up and do extraordinary things in their places to make them more prosperous.
We need someone to help improve and manage our website, as well as lead ongoing graphic design projects. This could be you if:
- You’re excited by the prospect of taking a concept and translating it into a visual format that speaks to a broad audience.
- You enjoy crafting the perfect layout for a webpage and understand the essentials of UI/UX design.
- Working independently doesn’t faze you, but you also know the value of collaborating with teammates.
- You’re motivated to be part of a nonpartisan nonprofit that helps people make their cities and towns more economically resilient.
- You have some knowledge of SEO principles and experience working in Squarespace or similar website platforms.
This is a remote position open to anyone in the U.S. Our team collaborates digitally from locations around the country, and we get together 2–4 times per year for in-person staff retreats. We have content deadlines and occasional event-driven demands, but generally keep a flexible schedule. We are an equal opportunity, family-friendly organization. Our work is rewarding, and our organization is making a difference.
Strong Towns’ central method of communication with our national audience is through our website, where we’ve been publishing daily articles, podcasts, and resources for more than 10 years. We need a web designer who can manage our growing need for website updates and help us strategize about the future of our site. We’re also looking for someone who can take on graphic design projects for the organization.
This position reports to the Program Director and works with a broader team that includes a copy editor, communications manager, writers, and more. The position's duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Conducting regular updates to our Squarespace site, including creating new pages and updating existing pages. (This includes some coding, but is mostly about layout and design.)
- Advising the organization on strategic enhancements to the site that will help us reach our audience better and communicate more clearly, then implementing those changes
- Managing updates to our secondary sites, including Academy (on the Teachable platform), Action Lab (on the Zendesk platform), and book websites (on the Squarespace platform), as well as the creation of new secondary sites when needed
- Creating graphic illustrations to accompany articles and social media posts (especially Instagram).
- Designing and laying out graphic products like annual reports, how-to guides, and promotional materials.
This is a full-time position that pays up to $45,000 annually. In addition, Strong Towns provides a 401(k) retirement plan, a flexible QSEHRA healthcare plan, and a communications and equipment stipend, as well as parental leave.
If you are interested in this position, please visit https://www.strongtowns.org/employment-designer  to start the application process. Initial applications are due February 12. We are looking to fill this position by March 17.