Senior Principal Software Engineer, Backend - Unit 42
At Palo Alto Networks® everything starts and ends with our mission:
Being the cybersecurity partner of choice, protecting our digital way of life.
We have the vision of a world where each day is safer and more secure than the one before. These aren’t easy goals to accomplish – but we’re not here for easy. We’re here for better. We are a company built on the foundation of challenging and disrupting the way things are done, and we’re looking for innovators who are as committed to shaping the future of cybersecurity as we are.
We’re changing the nature of work. Palo Alto Networks is evolving to meet the needs of our employees now and in the future through FLEXWORK, our approach to how we work. From benefits to learning, location to leadership, we’ve rethought and recreated every aspect of the employee experience at Palo Alto Networks. And because it FLEXes around each individual employee based on their individual choices, employees are empowered to push boundaries and help us all evolve, together.
We're seeking innovators - software engineers who seek to design new products, designing state-of-the-art products that do not exist today. These engineers love to code with a drive to build global products and bring new ideas to develop security disciplines to solve real-world problems. We are looking for leaders who take ownership of their areas of focus and who are driven to pursue problems at every level. Collaboration is at the heart of our culture and we need engineers who can communicate at a high level and work well with multi-functional teams towards achieving a common goal.
Unit 42 has best-in-industry security consultants to support enterprises and organizations through their cybersecurity journeys. You will build the backend supporting Unit 42’s customer-facing Web applications. You will work closely with engineering counterparts ensuring that the overall system built scales across personas, internal and external, and geos. It is expected that this individual is able to deliver across a number of applications and use cases. As a fast moving organization, we are looking for a self-starter to bootstrap and drive modern cloud service development for the team.
- We are looking for a full-stack engineer to help build a scalable and performant micro service based architecture with public and private APIs
- Contribute in all phases of the product development cycle, from definition, design, through implementation and test
- Design robust technical solutions to business problems, with a high focus on quality and execution
- As an employee in this newly-formed team, help design and build systems from scratch and implement processes to ensure modularity, efficiency and maintainability
- Develop functional specifications, assess task requirements and scheduling, and assist in development, debug and support
- Define, suggest and implement improvements to the development process
- Clearly communicate goals and desired outcomes to internal project teams
- Mentor, coach and help grow a strong technical team
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, similar technical discipline or equivalent practical experience, Graduate degree (MS or Ph.D.) in Computer Science or similar technical discipline is preferred or equivalent military experience required
- 8+ years of experience with web back-end frameworks and Go and/or Java
- Familiar with database architecture, scalability, performance, and tuning
- 5+ years of engineering experience with a proven track record of building customer-facing web applications or services back-end
- Experience designing/building scalable RESTful API’s
- Develop, troubleshoot and maintain production level application code for new services and products
- Understand the value of iterating fast - learning from small, safe, frequent changes
- Experience with cloud infrastructure & services (AWS / Google Cloud / Azure )
- Experience developing Software as a Service on a public cloud & microservice architectures
- A focus on quality, with experience writing unit tests and collaborating with quality engineering to develop test plans
- Is agile, enjoys the speed of a fast-paced, highly engaged startup environment, curious, and constantly seeks to improve standards as we go along
- Has a belief in automation, tooling, and testing as critical parts of the software lifecycle
- Verbal and written communication skills to work with multi-functional groups
- Teammate who brings a can-do attitude to a dynamic working environment
Our engineering team is at the core of our products and connected directly to the mission of preventing cyberattacks. We are constantly innovating — challenging the way we, and the industry, think about cybersecurity. Our engineers don’t shy away from building products to solve problems no one has pursued before. We define the industry instead of waiting for directions. We need individuals who feel comfortable in ambiguity, excited by the prospect of a challenge, and empowered by the unknown risks facing our everyday lives that are only enabled by a secure digital environment.
We’re trailblazers that dream big, take risks, and challenge cybersecurity’s status quo. It’s simple: we can’t accomplish our mission without diverse teams innovating, together.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for all qualified individuals with a disability. If you require assistance or accommodation due to a disability or special need, please contact us at email@example.com.
Palo Alto Networks is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity in our workplace, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or other legally protected characteristics.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
The compensation offered for this position will depend on qualifications, experience, and work location. For candidates who receive an offer, the starting salary (includes on-target earnings = base + on target incentives for sales roles) is expected to be between $166,600/yr to $245,000/yr. The offered compensation may also include restricted stock units and a bonus. A description of our employee benefits may be found here.
Covid-19 Vaccination Information for Palo Alto Networks Jobs
- Vaccine requirements and disclosure obligations vary by country.
Unless applicable law requires otherwise, you must be vaccinated for COVID or qualify for a reasonable accommodation if:
- The job requires accessing a company worksite
- The job requires in-person customer contact and the customer has implemented such requirements
- You choose to access a Palo Alto Networks worksite
- If you have questions about the vaccine requirements of this particular position based on your location or job requirements, please inquire with the recruiter.