The Northwest Energy Efficiency Alliance (NEEA) is an alliance of more than 140 utilities and energy efficiency organizations working on behalf of more than 13 million energy consumers to increase the adoption of energy-efficient products, services, and practices. To do this, the alliance identifies and removes market barriers to energy efficiency to drive permanent change throughout the supply chain. This formalized, lasting approach is known as Market Transformation.
Over the last twenty five years, the alliance has developed a proven Market Transformation framework built on data, technical expertise, and reciprocal, long-lasting relationships with regional and national market actors and organizations. Since 1997, alliance Market Transformation activities have saved equivalent to enough electricity to power over half a million homes each year.
NEEA is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Product Strategist will build and maintain the overall product roadmap for the assigned portfolio. Responsibilities include but are not limited to defining, developing, adapting, and deploying a coordinated market strategy to transform the market for one or more strategic product groups, Water Heating specifically, to sustainably embed more efficient products or practices in targeted markets. The product group market strategy will:
- Identify a vision for a transformed market, long-term goals and strategies and programs that NEEA will operate within selected markets to achieve the near and long-term business results.
- Lead and coordinate market engagement to identify, secure, build and maintain meaningful partnerships with industry and supply chain partners, such as manufacturers, distributors, retailers and trade allies.
- Identify, define and collaborate on associated market-level infrastructure and market channels that support the product group strategy and identify and capitalize on common market relationships and dynamics across multiple market transformation programs in multiple Product Groups.
- Collaborate closely with cross functional team (product management, program management, market channel management, market analytics, evaluation, codes and standards) to ensure successful operationalizing of strategy and execution to deliver business results and long-term goals.
This position requires a high level of interpersonal and influential leadership skills as well as interpersonal flexibility and versatility to work independently but also collaborate pro-actively within a matrixed team organization.
The incumbent will share our deep commitment to diversity and inclusion and advancing practices, strategies and policies that achieve equitable outcomes for all.
Salary Range: $120,000 - $130,000
Could This Be Your Dream Job?
Are you curious about how to solve complex market and product problems to drive energy efficiency by creatively nudging the market to move in new directions? Do you enjoy collaborating with people of all skills and backgrounds so that they gain new perspectives about their businesses and markets? Are you practical and patient, but still able to maintain an inspiring vision of what could be? Are you interested in working for a respected organization that enables access to corporate leaders around the country but is still small enough to see the direct impacts of your contributions? Are you interested in working for an organization where employees really do believe in the mission of the organization and work closely together to achieve it?
If you answered yes to these questions, please read on to learn more:
The Typical Day May Include…
- Collaborating regionally and nationally with other energy efficiency organizations, manufacturers or interested stakeholders to develop strategic market intervention plans.
- Partnering with utility managers to share insights on the market and products that could help them meet their goals.
- Coordinating with NEEA program teams to develop and implement strategic actions that drive the market toward a more energy efficient state.
- Developing energy efficiency product strategic plans and managing the plan implementations, including consultants and contractors supporting the work.
- Fostering and maintaining business relationships with manufacturers, distributors, the Department of Energy, national laboratories, and other market actors to increase NEEA’s market influence.
What Are You Good At?
- Understanding how markets work and how to identify market needs and leverage points.
- Identifying and developing long-lasting business relationships.
- Communicating and collaborating to share your knowledge and co-generate solutions to complex problems.
- Learning and applying new information, creating clarity from ambiguity.
- Tracking and influencing product roadmaps as they evolve through their lifecycles.
- Navigating internal and external processes and relationships to bring new concepts to reality.
You Likely Have the Following:
- Ability to see the long game, the creativity to develop effective interventions and the patience to build consensus among diverse stakeholders.
- Exceptional communication skills.
- Balanced experience with strategy, markets and technology, and curiosity to continuously learn and apply new knowledge.
- Desire to share and work for a common purpose that has economic and societal benefits.
Your Education, Experience, and Skills:
- BA or BS degree in Marketing, Business, Economics, Engineering or related field required. MBA or Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years of experience with increasing responsibility in strategic management and product development for broad strategic markets, including market assessment, forecasting, risk-assessment and deep understanding of market transformation discipline. Prefer experience with business-to-business marketing.
- Familiarity and experience working with emerging technology, innovation, strategic marketing/planning and/or product development/commercialization/management, specifically identifying and developing strategies to advance new products or practices into the market in coordinated strategic fashion.
- Experience developing, implementing and managing business partnerships/corporate engagement strategies, preferably with experience working with the supply chains of manufacturers, retailers, distributors and/or trade allies.
- Specific knowledge and experience in the assigned strategic product group or industry.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams with ability to lead, influence and sell a vision and strategy without formal authority; some supervisory or management experience preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in creating strategic plans, managing financial plans and budgets, and in the selection and management of contractors.
- Knowledge of energy efficiency, electric utility business and operations, and/or Northwest energy markets preferred.
- An equivalent combination of education, experience and training that would provide the knowledge, skills and abilities required for the successful performance of the essential job duties will also be considered.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the product planning process, product life cycle planning and driving cross-functional teams from strategic ideation to execution.
Finalists must have eligibility to work in the US as NEEA is not able to provide VISA sponsorship, or have remote work outside of the US.
NEEA’s benefits highlights:
90% of medical/dental premiums paid by NEEA, employer funded Health Savings Account, automatic 6% retirement contribution with 2% matching, 17-days PTO, remote working options, flexible work schedule options, professional development.