Senior Systems Engineer
GitHub is the best place to share code with friends, co-workers, classmates, and complete strangers. Over fifteen million people use GitHub to build amazing things together. With the collaborative features of GitHub.com and GitHub Business, it has never been easier for individuals and teams to write faster, better code.
What We Value:
*Collaboration:* We believe the best work is done together.
*Empathy:* We believe in putting people first.
*Quality:* We believe in setting the standard for excellence.
*Positive Impact:* We believe in making the world a better place through our work.
*Shipping:* We believe in creating things for the people using them.
Why You Should Join:
At GitHub, we constantly strive to create an environment that allows our employees (Hubbers) to do the best work of their lives. We’ve designed one of the coolest workspaces in San Francisco (HQ), where over half of our Hubbers work, snack, and create daily. The other half of our Hubbers work remotely in 18 countries across the globe.
We are also committed to keeping Hubbers healthy, motivated, focused and creative. We’ve designed our top-notch benefits program with these goals in mind. In a nutshell, we’ve built a place where we truly love working, we think you will too.
GitHub is made up of people from a wide variety of backgrounds and lifestyles. We embrace diversity and invite applications from people of all walks of life. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, race, religion, age, national origin, citizenship, disability, pregnancy status, veteran status, or any other differences. Also, if you have a disability, please let us know if there’s any way we can make the interview process better for you; we’re happy to accommodate!
Systems Engineer, Infrastructure
GitHub is looking for a Senior Systems Engineer to join the team that provides the foundation on which the world’s largest network of code is built. We’re experiencing tremendous growth and need your help making our vision of infrastructure-at-scale a reality.
Systems Engineers on the Physical Infrastructure team at GitHub are responsible for supporting the GitHub facilities, hardware within facilities, and day to day operations with an eye towards automation of ongoing support workloads. They troubleshoot, identify, and address hardware issues as they arise and help to ensure GitHub hardware continues to support the world’s code. Even more importantly they put in place systems to detect and even mitigate the same problem early the next time around.
* Maintain our global physical infrastructure.
* Work with OEMs, ODMs, and VARs to build and integrate efficient and economical break/fix processes and systems.
* Collaborate with network, systems, and software engineers to design and optimize our physical infrastructure.
* Work with our team of operations contractors to ensure hardware issues are addressed and remediated quickly, with minimal human touch points.
* Participate in an on-call rotation and quickly respond to issues and work to prevent them in the future
* Partner within the team and across the organization to help with occasional major rollouts and maintenance. Some travel may be necessary.
2 + Years Experience supporting global physical infrastructure
2+ Years Experience with shell scripting and Linux
Understanding of network engineering and compute systems
Strong verbal and written communication skills and the desire to continue to further cultivate technical skills
A pragmatic approach to decision making and design choices.
* Experience working in (or closely with) data centers and servers
* Experience writing software to make managing data center infrastructure easier, faster and less labor intensive
* Familiarity in high-level languages such as Ruby, Go, Rust and/or Python.
* Familiarity with configuration management software such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or Salt.
* Experience diagnosing and resolving performance and reliability problems at the intersection of hardware and software.
Minimum salary of $104,400 to maximum $234,300 + bonus + equity + benefits.
GitHub certain roles are eligible for additional rewards, including annual bonus and stock. These rewards are allocated based on individual impact in role. In addition, certain roles also have the opportunity to earn sales incentives based on revenue or utilization, depending on the terms of the plan and the employee’s role.
Location: In this role, you can work remotely from anywhere in the United States or onsite in one of GitHub’s U.S. offices (San Francisco, Bellevue, Raleigh).