Frontend / Backend / Full Stack Developer Positions | Full Time, Remote 🔥
Employment type: Full-time contractor
Compensation: Based on experience
Start Date: ASAP
Kobo is an international non-profit organization. We host and maintain KoboToolbox, a state-of-the art survey data collection and analysis tool that is widely used by frontline organizations in challenging settings. We are registered in Cambridge, MA, but our team is based around the world. Our mission is to create highly usable tools for creating data-driven social impact.
KoboToolbox is used and trusted by over 14,000 organizations around the world. Most of our partners are in the sectors of humanitarian action, global development, climate change, and human rights. We provide KoboToolbox free of charge, giving countless projects around the world access to high quality data.
By joining us, you will be working in partnership with the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs, in cooperation with many nonprofit organizations, and through Kobo's affiliation with the Harvard Humanitarian Initiative to improve humanitarian data collection methods worldwide.
At Kobo, we believe that great workers deserve great jobs. We’re an organization with a supportive environment that values initiative, diversity, and creativity.
We are looking for an at least two full time developers who may be Frontend, Backend, or Full Stack Developers to expand our growing global team. The developers will work as a remote contractor on a flexible schedule, and is expected to contribute around 35 hours per week.
We are happy to consider developers with diverse professional experience, provided they are committed to mastering our specific technologies even if they have not used all the specific technologies in our stack—so long as you have comparable experience and a strong resolve to get up to speed quickly and independently.
We welcome your application regardless of whether you consider yourself a full-stack developer or prefer to focus more specifically on back-end or front-end technologies.
This is a remote work opportunity, but most meetings fall during a 9 AM-5 PM ET window.
Those who join our international team will immediately assume a hands-on role with integral responsibilities that include, among others:
- Writing robust, concise, and reusable code with accompanying tests and documentation;
- Searching and reading the code base—which spans multiple libraries, projects, and programming languages—to understand existing behavior and conventions;
- Reviewing other developers' code and providing constructive feedback;
- Distilling requests from the humanitarian community into technically detailed feature requests (or, sometimes, bug reports!);
- Communicating with the public in conjunction with our support staff or directly through forums, issue trackers, etc.;
- Shaping the design and architecture of the overall tool suite collaboratively with the larger team.
Beyond technical acumen, we value curiosity, initiative, persistence, cooperative problem-solving, and egalitarian decision-making. Humanitarians around the world will depend on your work every day.
For reference, the Kobo environment includes the following, although experience with all of these is not required:
- Django (and particularly REST Framework)
- NGINX and uWSGI
- Ubuntu Linux
- AWS: EC2, S3, EKS, RDS, DocumentDB, ElastiCache
- Azure: AKS and managed databases (PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis)
- Kubernetes and Helm
- CSS3 (via SCSS)
- TypeScript and ECMAScript 2015 (ES6)
- React, JSX, and MobX
- (Some) CoffeeScript and Backbone.js
- npm, webpack, and Grunt
- XLSForm, ODK XForm, and OpenRosa
- GitHub for most aspects of developer workflow and collaboration
- GitLab (primarily for CI/CD)
- Docker (for development as well as production)
We seek contractors who desire a long-term relationship (ideally one year or more) and who can commit significant time to our project (around 35 hours per week).
If your skills and schedule match our needs, and you are up for the challenging-yet-rewarding work of supporting humanitarians worldwide, please apply now!