Our office is based in Santa Barbara, but this position can work remotely if needed.
What we want:
- Strong accounting background (Don’t be green. This is a senior accounting position).
- Ability to handle a month-end close that is audit-proof.
- Self-starter who can manage multiple deadlines and run points on new projects.
What we offer:
- Great Salary and Bonus Incentives.
- Full benefits package (Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, Retirement Match, FSA).
- Flexible schedule and work environment.
The Assistant Controller/Controller plays a vital role in the day-to-day management of accounting cycles for multiple clients by overseeing all activities involved in maintaining the general ledger, revenue recognition, expenditures, assets and liabilities. This position is expected to take a role in the management of staff completing the processes and tasks required to ensure timely, successful completion of month-end close, completeness and accuracy of financial reports, and adherence to procedures and internal controls, among other duties. Excellent time management, critical thinking, multi-tasking, attention to detail, and diligence to ensure timely completion of tasks are some of the skills required for success in this position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manage all cost accounting processes from implementation and reviews.
- Complete cost allocations for federal grants and/or manufacturing cost centers.
- Responsible for management of accounting team, including onboarding and continuous training and development; technical input; business process evaluation and improvement; and streamlining of process/procedures.
- Verification of A/P cycle completeness for multiple clients, ensuring timely payments to vendors, assisting in vendor dispute resolution when escalated, and ensuring the overall relationship with vendors are in good standing.
- Oversight of 1099 preparation at year-end.
- Verification of A/R cycle completeness for multiple clients, ensuring timely completion and submittal of invoices, regular payment collection, and that overall relationship with clients’ customers remains in good standing.
- Management of cash balances, ensuring cash on hand is appropriate for upcoming financial commitments (i.e. A/P, payroll, etc.) and anticipating short- and long-term cash needs.
- Prepares reports which summarize and forecast company business activity and financial position based on past, present, and expected operations.
- Directs preparation of budgets and reviews budget proposals.
- Provides management with reviews of the organization's financial status and progress in its various initiatives.
- Coordinates information for audits of company's accounts, drafting audit schedules, and financial statements
- Prepares and/or reviews reports required by regulatory agencies, tax returns, etc.
- Verification of timely completion of month-end close tasks as outlined in close checklists for each client.
- This includes making sure all adjusting journal entries are posted correctly.
- Analyzing financial data including reviewing and correcting potential errors in the entries into the company’s software platform, to ensure the accuracy of financial reports.
- Communication with Relationship Manager when reporting is ready for final review, and processing of corrections.
- Cost allocations for functional expenses and partnerships via manual or automated processes.
- Drafting grant and organizational budget preparation and narratives as needed.
- Verification of timely and accurate processing of payroll, via in-house or outsourced software, and reviewing payroll journal entries
- Ensuring team compliance with GAAP, internal control processes, and segregation of duties.
- Other projects and tasks as assigned.
- Strong accounting background (experience and education) with solid knowledge and understanding of GAAP accounting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, as well as a professional demeanor, are required.
- Ability to multi-task and manage time efficiently and effectively to meet critical and aggressive internal and external deadlines.
- Government or manufacturing cost accounting experience is highly preferred.
- Great attention to detail, problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to work independently, as well as collaboratively to achieve individual and team goals.
- Proactive and self-motivated attitude with the drive to take ownership of responsibilities assigned.
- Did we mention the attention to detail?
- Familiarity with advanced accounting software.
- Experience in GL, as well as programmatic/cost accounting
- Knowledge of tax law, current GAAP requirements, audit standards
- Advanced user of Microsoft Excel.
- 5-7 years (minimum) relevant accounting experience.
- Experience with Non-Profit Accounting will benefit you greatly in the role
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance (minimum), advanced degrees (CPA, MBA) preferred.
Please read the full job description below, and then send an email with your cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Your Next Controller” in the subject line. Read the full description of the position below!
Please go to www.balancefm.com to learn more. We look forward to hearing from you.