Central Iowa Canvass Director 🔥
Food & Water Action is a leading national organization that mobilizes regular people to build political power to move bold and uncompromised solutions to the most pressing food, water, and climate problems of our time. We work to protect people’s health, communities, and democracy from the growing destructive power of the most powerful economic interests.
Food & Water Action has been working to build political power in Iowa for the past five years. With the 2022 midterm elections this November, we’re looking to use the power we’ve built in the state to mobilize voters, and to grow that power for future victories in the region.
The Central Iowa Canvass Director will recruit and manage a team of five canvassers who will hit our goals to win major victories in 2022 and beyond.
This position will start as soon as possible, running through November 8, 2022.
Our full-time staff in Iowa work remotely. We do not have a physical office space and are not planning to rent office space for this campaign. Instead, we plan on running the canvass remotely, with regular meetups in the field for canvassers to get training and materials.
Responsibilities and Duties:
● Recruit and hire canvassers
● Training canvassers to effectively conduct voter persuasion, voter mobilization, and volunteer recruitment
● Cutting and assigning turf
● Analyzing canvasser performance, including running VAN reports, tracking petitions and pledge cards collected
● Scheduling and tracking hours, and working with the Finance team to ensure canvassers are paid in a timely fashion
● Completing at least one canvass shift themselves each week
● Ensuring a daily transportation plan for canvassers to get to turf and back, including acquiring rental cars when necessary
● Identify meetup locations for canvass sendoffs
At least one election cycle canvassing experience (either electoral or issue organizing works!)
Familiarity with VAN or a similar voter database tool
Preferred (but not necessary) qualifications:
● One election cycle canvass directing or one year organizing on an issue advocacy campaign
● Experience training others
● Experience with using Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets to track work
● Knowledge of Iowa and the central Iowa area specifically
● Relationships with organizers and potential canvassers in this area
● Strong interest in Food & Water Action issues and commitment to social change.
● Strong verbal and written communication and time management skills.
● Desire to develop campaign organizing skills.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the United States. This position will be based in the Des Moines metro area.
Compensation starts at $55,000 annualized. Applicants with one election cycle experience directing a canvass could be offered $60,000 annualized; applicants with two cycles experience directing a canvass could be offered $62,500 annualized. In each of these scenarios, we offer competitive benefits.
Clickto apply. Please include your resume, cover letter and three professional references to be considered.
We will review your application and if we feel that your knowledge, skills and abilities are potentially a good match for our organization, we will be in contact with you. Position open until filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Food & Water Watch strives for a diverse work environment and encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and individuals with disabilities to apply.