Individual Giving Manager 🔥
The California Bicycle Coalition (CalBike) is seeking a part-time Individual Giving Manager to join our team. This is a remote, half-time, temporary position until we hire a new Executive Director. The organization is headquartered in Oakland, but the position is remote and the candidate may be based anywhere in California.
The anticipated term of this position is six to eight months, until the new Executive Director is on board and has had a chance to conduct a hiring process for a permanent Development position. At the end of this term, the candidate will have the opportunity to apply for the permanent Development position. (Full-time status of this future permanent position is negotiable — it could be full- or part-time, as worked out with the incoming ED.)
This is a great opportunity to contribute to a vital organization in a fun and collaborative remote work environment. Our stellar Individual Giving Manager will work with the interim ED, staff, and contractors to help raise the California Bicycle Coalition's approximately $1 million budget.
The position reports to the interim Executive Director, and requires collaboration with the staff of our tight-knit, team-oriented organization. The position’s primary responsibility will be designing and producing fundraising appeals to small individual donors, with occasional duties related to grant writing and solicitation of corporate gifts and sponsorships. The position requires in-person staff meetings every two to three months in the Bay Area or L.A., and will require occasional travel within California to meet with donors, funders, and board members or to attend events.
CalBike is California’s state-level bicycling advocacy organization, advocating for communities that are more equitable, prosperous, and inclusive, where bicycling enables more people to lead healthy and joyful lives. We are a team of two full-time staff, two part-time staff, and two part-time contractors. Learn more about our work at CalBike.org.
In collaboration with the interim Executive Director, staff, and contractors, implement CalBike's existing fundraising strategy, including but not limited to the following:
Individual Donor Fundraising
- Strategize on and direct the implementation of fall and year-end fundraising campaigns
- Plan, write, and edit donor appeals (email and direct mail) and manage production of mailings and scheduling of email appeals in collaboration with other team members
- Lead and manage donor stewardship systems (thank you letters, notes, calls)
- Assist with production of CalBike's biennial donor newsletter and accompanying appeal
- Assist with planning and execution of all development strategies related to individual donors
- Data entry and list-making (in Salesforce, Salsa, and Excel)
- Assist with planning small fundraising parties in November and December (Covid permitting)
- Assist with the development of grant applications and renewals according to grant calendar
- Expand CalBike's grant portfolio through research, networking, and cultivation
- Track grants and submit reports
- Build and maintain relationships with corporate donors and sponsors
- Support the solicitation of sponsorships and corporate gifts
- Coordinate sponsorship benefits between sponsors and relevant staff
- Manage graphic design contractors and possibly a development/comms associate (to be hired)
- Attend staff and departmental meetings
- Donor appeals
- Foundation and government grant writing
- Grant reporting
- Corporate gifts and sponsorships
Excellent writer and editor with specific knowledge of fundraising writing
Knowledge of best practices in development and membership
Great verbal communicator
Ability to meet deadlines
Flexible and positive
Ability to work independently and meet deadlines without direct supervision
Comfortable and adept at learning new software to perform tasks quickly and efficiently
Knowledge of SalesForce and Salsa Engage, or comparable donor database systems
Comfortable in a collaborative work environment
Passion for sustainable, equitable transportation is also a plus!
Salary & Benefits
20 hours weekly, $36 to $41 hourly wage commensurate with experience
Flexible work schedule
Phone and internet stipend
We will be interviewing on a rolling basis and are looking to hire as soon as we find a great candidate, so please apply soon.
CalBike provides equal employment opportunities without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially people of color, women, immigrants, people of all abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. We are open to a range of professional backgrounds for the individual giving manager role. Top applicants might not have expertise in every core area listed above, but you will bring experience in at least two, plus a willingness to learn and excel at the others. A core qualification for this position is that you must advocate for and deeply value equity and inclusion.