Technical Writer 🔥
We're looking for our first technical writer to lead the charge on creating world-class documentation. We believe a great developer experience requires building great tools (we're on it!) and great documentation to enable developers to use those tools (you'll be on it!).
About Us and The Hard Problems We Are Solving
At Stellate, we're working to unlock the world's data by building the global data graph. By making the global data graph a reality, we unlock the compounding effects of innovation by removing the inefficiencies of connecting poorly structured and documented APIs.
Our immediate focus is on making open GraphQL APIs ubiquitous. We'll start by building a set of solutions that enable engineering teams to build fast, high-quality, open GraphQL APIs at scale. This will result in an explosion of open GraphQL APIs, broadening the global data graph. Inevitably, the global data graph will be the center of the digital economy.
We highly value documentation and clear writing, because we believe a great developer experience is amplified by great documentation that enables developers to best leverage the tools we provide for them.
The main responsibility as our first technical writer is to own all the technical writing we publish, most importantly our documentation.
For the immediate term, this role will report to our founder and CEO, Max Stoiber. Here are some of the things you would be responsible for:
- Gain experience with our products and GraphQL by working with it and closely interacting with our engineering team, product team and our users
- Develop new content by evaluating the existing material and finding the gaps our users stumble into
- Collaborate with the customer success, product and engineering teams to keep the documentation up to date and as complete as possible
- Write technical blog posts on relevant topics within the GraphQL and open source communities
- Devise and implement creative ways to use documentation as a way to improve user onboarding, training, and user engagement with our products
- Advocate for the documentation experience and push the team forward with improvements to content creation and the user experience
How We Work Together
There are many ways to build an amazing company culture and we're on our journey to define ours. So we ask you for your investment, participation, and intentionality in co-creating the unique culture at Stellate.
- We believe in hiring the best talent around the globe, that's why we are a 100% distributed company. The "distributed first" mindset is baked into our company and culture from day-one.
- We're a company full of global misfits, so it's not in our DNA to believe in looking for those who are a "culture fit". We intentionally look for those who are a value add to our culture.
- English is a second language for 90% of our company. We call six countries "home". Our exec team is 33% women of color. We have global pay parity and compensation transparency to ensure equal pay.
- We default to asynchronous communication. By reducing the number of meetings, we can build a scalable asynchronous culture and enable us to collaborate across timezones.
- Though we are distributed, we know that nothing replaces the connection that is created in person. That's why we hold three company-wide off-sites per year. In addition, each department is empowered and enabled with a healthy budget to hold department-level off-sites. We also have a perk for each employee to visit any other employee around the globe three times a year.
- We believe, that the small things in work-life really matter and add up. Micro-moments of connection during our work days are essential.
- We use quarterly OKRs that map to annual goals to ensure that we're all focused on the most meaningful and impactful work that aligns with our business goals.
Check out our 2022 Benefits and Perks to learn more about how we support those in our company.
Our Shared Values
We believe that being aligned on our shared values is the foundation of how we build, belong, and how we show up for each other and to the broader ecosystem.
- Intentionality: We do things with intention. Everything we do starts with a reflection and understanding of why we do what we do. Intentionality permeates all our processes.
- Excellence: We challenge ourselves to grow and improve every day. We strive for speed and excellence in everything we deliver.
- Default to Open: Start with trust. Information is power and open information distributes empowerment throughout the entire company. We default to open information, open to feedback, open to collaboration, and open to each other as people and coworkers.
- Collaboration: "If you want to go fast, go alone; if you want to go far, go together". There will be times when you will need to go fast alone. There will be times when we will have to align and go together. Finding the right balance is the challenge and the key to unlocking greatness.
- Empathy: We belong to a broader ecosystem in everything we do. Empathy and respect come standard.
- Deliberate Inclusion: Inclusion creates space for diversity to thrive. We are deliberate and intentional in the way we create an inclusionary space.
You can read our open letter to all future team members penned by Sue Odio, our Head of People & Operations.
As a fully distributed company, we've made a bold decision not to anchor pay to employees' physical location, no matter where they are in the world. You can find out more about our "One Job, One Pay" on our company blog.
We also believe that pay transparency is a diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging initiative, as well as the best way for a company our size to hold ourselves accountable to a fair pay policy.
Don't Meet Every Single Requirement?
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Stellate we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you're excited about this role but your past experience doesn't align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
When you apply to a job on this site, the personal data contained in your application will be collected by Stellate ("Controller"), which is located at 650 Castro St Ste 120 #90571, Mountain View, CA 94041 and can be contacted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org Controller's data protection officer is Max Stoiber, who can be contacted at email@example.com. Your personal data will be processed for the purposes of managing Controller's recruitment related activities, which include setting up and conducting interviews and tests for applicants, evaluating and assessing the results thereto, and as is otherwise needed in the recruitment and hiring processes. Such processing is legally permissible under Art. 6(1)(f) of Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (General Data Protection Regulation) as necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the Controller, which are the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of applicants for employment.
Your personal data will be shared with Greenhouse Software, Inc., a cloud services provider located in the United States of America and engaged by Controller to help manage its recruitment and hiring process on Controller's behalf. Accordingly, if you are located outside of the United States, your personal data will be transferred to the United States once you submit it through this site. Because the European Union Commission has determined that United States data privacy laws do not ensure an adequate level of protection for personal data collected from EU data subjects, the transfer will be subject to appropriate additional safeguards under standard contractual clauses. You can obtain a copy of the standard contractual clauses by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your personal data will be retained by Controller as long as Controller determines it is necessary to evaluate your application for employment. Under the GDPR, you have the right to request access to your personal data, to request that your personal data be rectified or erased, and to request that processing of your personal data be restricted. You also have to right to data portability. In addition, you may lodge a complaint with an EU supervisory authority.