Editor, Ehow 🔥
Leaf Group is a house of brands, creating and cultivating digital-first companies in growing lifestyle categories: Fitness & Wellness (Well+Good, Livestrong.com); Home & Decor (Hunker, Society6, Deny Designs), and Art & Design (Saatchi Art, The Other Art Fair). Additionally, we have performance focused brands in key categories such as Travel, Pets, and DIY (OnlyInYourState, Cuteness, eHow). Our media and marketplace brands are authentic and authoritative, reaching a large and growing passionate audience.
We work in a fun, collaborative environment that is diverse, adventurous, and open-minded. We look for proactive, accountable people focused on continuous learning and growth to push themselves and our businesses forward. Check us out here.
As Editor, eHow, you will work with the eHow editorial team to identify new trends, stories, Q&As and viral content in the DIY, crafting, home and food spaces. You will be responsible for both writing and editing articles, as well as assigning, top editing, managing and sourcing freelance writers. You constantly are looking for ways to further your own DIY and crafting knowledge, and you use said expertise to help foster and lead the team in creating expert resources and references.
The Editor, eHow is responsible for ensuring editorial standards never waver, all while keeping content production pace and editorial budgets. You not only have a sharp eye (you know the difference between an em dash, an en dash and a hyphen) and know your grammar, but also keep a finger on the pulse of the latest trends in the crafting, DIY, food and home space (like, how to clean kitchen pans with Coca-Cola or press flowers in a microwave). This fast-paced position will require you to prioritize your tasks in order to see them executed in a timely way.
Social media, video and podcast experience is a plus.
You’ll Report To: Managing Editor, eHow*
A typical day as an Editor, eHow might include: *
- Editorial Operations
- Identify crafting, DIY, food and home trends and implement new content strategies. Pitch and brainstorm new articles, series and ideas to live across multiple platforms. Have a “test and iterate” mindset that will drive you to try multiple tactics to increase all KPIs.Collaborate on updating the editorial calendar with attention to specific “content hubs” with the goal to increasingly build content, brand authority and awareness year after year.Curate, source, interview and amplify diverse creators’ voices.
- Work with the Managing Editor to define eHow editorial direction; update guidelines; and source and manage qualified freelance writers, copy editors and home and DIY creators.Work with the Managing Editor to create editorial and topic-specific content best practices that can be distributed across affiliate, social and editorial teams. Participate in site cleanup, including but not limited to better site structure, deep dive cleanup, touch ups, photo updates, and more.
- Collaborate on creating pitching angles and/or editorial content hubs that will be attractive to the sales team.
What You Have:
- A minimum of 5-7 years of editorial experience, journalism or content marketing experience preferred.
- Experience working with a crafting, DIY, food, home or lifestyle brand previously. Continued learning and research in the space.
- Experience assisting in editorial direction and building multiple brands or editorial campaigns. Previous work collaborating across 3-5 brands or editorial campaigns simultaneously.
- Excellent content editing and copy editing skills. Proficient in AP Style. Technical editing experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of social media and video and/or podcast content creation.
- Ability to meet competing deadlines across several projects in a fast-paced environment. Ability to pivot and adapt to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of SEO concepts, including the role content creation plays in organic search traffic.
- Prior use of content management systems and SEO tools
- Knowledge of online metrics and statistics reporting tools such as Google Analytics, SEMrush and Tableau is a plus.
- Excellent Excel skills are a plus.
- Strong collaboration, communication and interpersonal skills.
- A desire to participate in creating the workplace you want to be a part of.
- A willingness to learn and share your knowledge with the team.
- We're casual and informal but we work hard and work responsibly. Personal accountability goes a long way. We believe we are the change.
Leaf Group is among the 2022 & 2019 Built In LA Best Places To Work
Among Comparably's 2021 Best Companies for Company Culture, Company Perks & Benefits, Company Compensation, Best CEO for Diversity, and Best CEO for Women
eHow is the 2019 & 2020 People's Choice and official Webby Winner for Social Video/How To-DIY
OnlyInYourState is ranked the #3 Travel and Information Site (ComScore)
Well+Good is the 2019 People's Choice winner of the Webby’s Award for Best Lifestyle Brand
Leaf Group is among TalentDesk’s 2019 Best Companies To Work For
Well+Good is the 2018 winner of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Company AwardMyPlate is the 2018 winner of the Webby Award for Best Design
Winner of the 2017 Best Company for Diversity award Comparably
We are a wholly owned subsidiary of Graham Holdings Company (NYSE: GHC), a storied diversified holding company
For full-time permanent roles: *
Competitive compensation and benefits packages (i.e., Medical, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401K)
Gender neutral family leave
Paid-to-play vacation rewards
Discretionary unlimited vacation time
Employee discounts for Saatchi Art, Society6, and Deny Designs
Step 1: A video/phone call with a member from our Hiring Team. In this call, we will cover the basics of the role and our company, and discuss a high level overview of your past experiences, goals, and interest in this role.
Step 2: A call with your potential manager or someone from the hiring team to dive deeper into your experiences and goals.
Step 3: If applicable, short assessment to help us see your skill sets as they relate to the role we have. We will review this in Step 1.
Step 4: Depending on the role, interviews with key stakeholders from the role (could be 1 or up to 3) who will dive further into the role with you and answer any questions you may have.
Leaf Group is a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace that reflects our customers and the world we live in. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply for our roles. Leaf Group is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Agency Disclosure: *If the Leaf Group Talent Acquisition department, or any current company employee, receives an unsolicited resume from a third party recruiting agency and Leaf Group does not have a signed Agency Agreement active, Leaf Group will not be deemed liable to pay a placement fee. The unsolicited resume will be considered a gift and can be considered for our recruitment efforts.
Job Type: Full-time