Product Design Manager, Integrations and Developer Experience 🔥
Okta’s vision is to accelerate a world where everyone can safely use any technology. We're looking for a Product Design Manager to oversee the Okta Integration Network and Developer Experience team. Our team is in charge of end-to-end experiences for anyone who wants to make a product work with Okta—including developer documentation in order to add single sign-on capabilities to their app, submitting integrations to our catalog, adding integrations to an Okta tenant, exciting future capabilities, and more.Okta works well because of the interconnecting parts of the whole system, and because we care about the big picture as well as the details. In identity management and security, no edge case is too small. If you love diving into technical nuances—learning exactly how things work—in order to design products that make people's lives easier, we're looking for you!This role is a great opportunity for a design manager early in their management career (1-2 years of experience) to gain experience leading and growing a design team. In this role, you will
- Lead, grow, and motivate a remote-first, world-class Product Design team
- Take accountability for the quality of the end-to-end experiences for the whole team while also empowering each team member to do their best work and be accountable for outcomes in their assigned areas
- Identify and drive strategic design initiatives. Collaborate cross-functionally to align design, business, and technology needs in order to ship features and product and deliver customer value.
- Help deepen our empathy for and knowledge of the people we serve: administrators, developers, independent software vendors, and end users. Work closely with our User Research partners to identify and prioritize strategic research initiatives in your product area (and possibly cross multiple product areas).
- Learn new subject matter and technical details in order to represent concepts, complex systems, and user experience. Use this knowledge to coach your team and connect design to business or technology needs.
- Ensure design quality and consistency by reviewing deliverables (research, designs, etc.) that your team creates, provide feedback to ensure high-quality output, and be a hands-on contributor when required
- Respectfully challenge conventions and contribute to the evolution of our design system (Odyssey), user experience patterns, and product development process (including measuring design goals and monitoring progress)
- Evolve product design team craft and process by instituting and managing design rituals (e.g. retros, critique, reviews, QA) as needed to support design team success, emphasizing EPD (engineering, product, design) collaboration
- Evangelize design thinking across the organization. Make opportunities for yourself and the Product Design team to spread design thinking and enthusiasm throughout Okta.
- "Culture fit" for us does not mean you come from a specific background. It means you're a thoughtful, curious, collaborative, kind, patient, persistent, systems thinker. Beyond these core traits, we're seeking candidates who can be a "culture add."
- You share our company , and work in accordance with those values
- You are able to navigate ambiguity and envision complex ecosystems, rallying around a common vision while providing space for team-led innovation
- You possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and have the courage to lead and pursue forward-thinking design
- You have experience defining high-level strategy (the why) and aligning design deliverables (the how) based on research, along with design principles to help teams be cohesive while making their own decisions
- You see design as a partner in shaping strategic and operational outcomes, and are also comfortable leading all stages of design for multiple teams within a given product area
- You have the heart of a teacher and can help mentor and train people. You build and share empathy with people in order to deeply understand them and their needs.
- You are passionate about supporting teams with a wide variety of experience, backgrounds, and interests
- You have a clear philosophy about how to successfully manage remote design teams
- You have experience driving organizational change with cross-functional stakeholders
- You are comfortable communicating in multiple ways in order to drive clarity and transparency
- Bonus points: You have used Service Design methods or would like to apply them
- Degree in a related field or relevant work experience as a Product Designer Manager or UX Manager
- Strong design fundamentals including conceptual design, information architecture, usability heuristics, interaction design, visual design, and prototyping
- Proficient in Figma (we use this at Okta), Sketch, or similar design tools
- Provide a digital portfolio that showcases your process and repeated success across a variety of complex and challenging technical projects across all aspects of the design process, including work that has been seen and used in live products. (Portfolio link required when applying.)
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $154,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at:.