Backend Engineer 🔥
About Wealthfront EngineeringAt Wealthfront, engineering is the largest group with over 50% of the employees. Hence engineering culture permeates throughout the organization. You will work with and learn from invigorating colleagues who come from diverse backgrounds. Very few had a finance background before starting at Wealthfront.
Given our size - 240 employees in total and 125 employees in Engineering, you have the ability to have an outsized impact, regardless of your industry tenure. Our Banking system was designed and developed by an engineer 3 years out of college. The Linking platform was developed by engineers with 6 years industry experience. When you start, we will pair you up with a mentor who will guide you for as long as you want.
Our culture is optimized for continued learning and automation. At Wealthfront, we are builder / operators: engineers have the dual responsibility to build the system and operate the system in production, dealing with problems as they occur. This provides you direct feedback on how your code performs in production. We preach and practice automation. As an engineer you are expected to automate any toil you encounter. No permissions required, no prioritizations expected, no questions asked.
We are disciples of quality and we don’t have a separate QA organization. Engineers are expected to write automated test cases that build upon the existing test cases. For example, our investing algorithms have a dedicated suite of tests that runs full trading day simulations on a representative sample of real accounts. This testing framework allows us to test any code change against historical scenarios.
If our culture of learning, the potential to have a huge impact and our focus on quality resonates with you, then we want you!
* Note: This role has the option to be based in Palo Alto CA, Boston MA, or remote (U.S)
About the Role:
- We are looking for backend engineers to join our core product, development teams. You’ll work with other engineers to design and build new features or enhance existing features. This work will add capabilities to the various backend systems and services that support Wealthfront’s products and will be done with automated instrumentation and monitoring to require minimal operational maintenance.
- You’ll help improve the maintainability and stability of our codebase by fixing issues and adding necessary enhancements to our existing backend systems. You’ll ensure that mission-critical backend systems and services operate smoothly in production by triaging and resolving operational issues as part of a team of on-call engineers. You’ll proactively identify opportunities for improving the reliability and scalability of our systems.
- Additionally, you might play a part in evolving the engineering organization by participating in recruiting activities such as interviewing and attending career fairs and providing mentorship to other engineers on the team.
- You have 2-4 years of experience in developing backend components, services or APIs in Java or a similar language.
- You demonstrate knowledge and understanding of distributed systems and functional programming paradigms.
- You have knowledge of SQL and experience working with online data stores (ideally something like MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server but NoSQL is okay).
- You have a passion for agile, test-driven development, continuous integration and automated testing.
- You also have a passion for working on platforms and backend systems that have measurable business impact and like working in a fast-paced cross-functional environment.
- While not required, experience working with Spark pipelines is a plus along with knowledge of an ORM technology such as Hibernate.
- Another plus is working with a dependency injection framework (one of Guice, Spring, Pico, Dagger).
- You have either a BS or MS in computer science or a related field.
Wealthfront started with the ambition to transform the investment advisory business, with the goal to unlock access to high quality investment advice for millions who were underserved by the traditional institutions. We built the first automated investment product that allows you to invest in a personalized portfolio of thousands of companies in seconds for a remarkably low fee; we then expanded into banking which made it remarkably easy for people to automate their finances end-to-end and eliminated the hassle of money management, all of which resulted in attracting more than $27 billion of our client’s hard earned savings, created the robo-advisor category and transformed the broader industry. And yet, we have a long way to go to achieve our mission to build a financial system that favors people, not institutions.
Wealthfront’s vision is to make it delightfully easy to build long-term wealth on your own terms. This vision is more relevant than ever because millions more people are getting into the market early and investing their hard earned savings in a handful of stocks. While this is a great way to start, it is inconsistent with building long-term wealth. We want to empower young investors to expand their horizon, and easily explore and execute on a wider range of investing strategies, make informed investment decisions that are consistent with their values and beliefs while also making it effortless to grow and compound their savings exponentially, that’s transformational to their lives and their long-term future.
Please review our