Gl Accountant ~ Remote In Portland oregon 🔥
Let’s do great things, together
Founded in Oregon in 1955, Moda is proud to be a company of real people committed to quality. Today, like then, we’re focused on building a better future for healthcare. That starts by offering outstanding coverage to our members, compassionate support to our community and comprehensive benefits to our employees. It keeps going by connecting with neighbors to create healthy spaces and places, together.
Moda values diversity and inclusion in our workplace. We aim to demonstrate our commitment to diversity through all our business practices and invite applications from candidates that share our commitment to this diversity. Our diverse experiences and perspectives help us become a stronger organization. Let’s be better together.
As a General Ledger Accountant in Moda’s Accounting department, you will be responsible for the preparation of the accounting and reporting of the Company’s health plan (Moda Health Plan, Inc.). You will report to a Financial Accounting Manager, with additional oversight from an Insurance Accounting Lead, and work collaboratively with the GL team of approximately 12 to ensure the complete and accurate accounting and reporting of the Company’s financial data for Moda Health Plan, Inc. Additionally, you will regularly interact with a broader group both in and out of the Accounting department, as well as interface with various financial stakeholders external to the Company.
- Ensure the integrity of the GAAP general ledger by preparing the monthly financial close for the Company’s health plan (Moda Health Plan, Inc.). This will include detailed journal entry preparation and analysis of financial results.
- Ensure that 100% of account reconciliations are completed monthly for assigned entity. Further, must have ability to create/propose appropriate reconciliations for new accounts or processes as needed (i.e. assess appropriateness of ending account balance and develop reconciliation approach).
- Prepare payment (check and ACH) requests for this entity that are owned by the Accounting department; maintain calendar schedule of recurring payment due dates.
- Work to build understanding of business operations for assigned entity in order to anticipate financial statement trends. Ability to elevate anticipated financial issues or ideas to management as appropriate.
- Demonstrate high levels of independent ownership, in addition to working collaboratively with the department, in order to maintain adherence to close calendar, both for monthly close as well as quarterly and annual close.
- Work with other departments as necessary to ensure financial statements are complete and accurate; work to understand and/or test the completeness and accuracy of key sources of data (key reports, key spreadsheets, etc.).
- On a quarterly basis, work with team members on the preparation of SAP basis financial statements to be filed with the Oregon Division of Financial Regulation, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, and AM Best. These time periods involve extra workload and flexibility to meet deadlines is required.
- Independently prepare various schedules, including standalone entity financial statements, in support of the annual external audit, when assigned.
- Perform and document relevant Model Audit Rule (MAR) controls as determined necessary.
- Stay informed of current accounting issues, including both GAAP and SAP.
- Demonstrate continuous effort to exhibit ownership over key responsibilities, improve operations, and streamline work processes to create efficiencies.
- Perform other duties or projects as assigned.
Are you ready to be a betterist?
If you’re ready to make a difference that matters, we want to hear from you. Because it’s time to discover what’s possible.
Together, we can be more. We can be better.
Moda Health seeks to allow equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by law.
01. Bachelor degree in Accounting or Finance; Accounting preferred. 02. 3+ years public accounting or GL accounting experience; CPA preferred but not required. 03. Strong understanding of accounting concepts and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). 04. Understanding of Statutory Accounting Principles (SAP) preferred. 05. Strong analytical and problem solving skills, including understanding of T-Accounts, and ability to work through difficult accounting scenarios. 06. Experience with various forms of financial reporting, including preparation of financials, footnotes and both electronic and hard copy tie outs. 07. Ability to work collaboratively as a group as well as drive and maintain individual ownership. 08. Strong verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. 09. Ability to work well under pressure to meet strict deadlines, as well as ability to maintain flexibility to shift priorities and reprioritize. 10. Strong time-management and organization skills; ability to move multiple work streams forward at once and actively prioritize projects. 11. Proficiency with Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Use of pivot tables, vlookups, and other moderately difficult Excel functions required. 12. Willingness to work additional hours when necessary. 13. Ability to maintain confidentiality and project a professional business image with both internal and external parties.