News Editor, Vcu Health 🔥
As VCU’s integrated communications and marketing office, the Division of University Relations is energized by diversity and inclusion and thrives on collaboration and innovation. We reflect the culture of the university and health system community in our work. We leverage the power of our institutional knowledge to deliver results, foster an equitable and supportive work environment to empower our talent, and work hard to tell impactful stories about VCU and VCU Health.
The news editor is in charge of managing a news content strategy and editorial process for VCUHealth.org, the main website for VCU Health System. The position is also responsible for news story development and writing original content for VCU Health that reflects the VCU Health brand voice and audience preferences.
This position supports the growing content needs of the academic health system that is part of Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU), and will work closely with the VCU news editor to manage news content production, editing and distribution based on different audience needs.
A member of the University Public Affairs department, the editor works independently with other departments and health system-affiliated organizations to establish a robust network of content collaborators and creates guidelines for sharing and repurposing relevant content across platforms.
The editor provides a bridge between the digital and public affairs team and comes up with innovative solutions to package news content for social and digital content marketing channels, which include, but are not limited to, podcasts, blogs and newsletters.
Critical to the success of this position are the ability to adapt to emerging technologies and the ability to build and maintain relations with colleagues that support a cooperative, inclusive environment
- Demonstrated track record in fostering a diverse and inclusive environment through communications/marketing work, operations and interpersonal relationships.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations, a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Significant experience in journalism, public relations or a related field.
- Proven, comparable demonstration of news judgment and writing skills for a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated experience creating and curating content for digital channels.
- Strong initiative. Strong oral and written communications skills. Strong interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional solution-oriented thinker that can coach best practices.
- Ability to work independently at a consistently high level of productivity.
- Basic photo resizing/editing for web
- Understanding of SEO/SEM best practices to improve search engine optimization, time on site, News Center traffic, and other relevant metrics
- Advanced understanding of content management systems (CMS), such as Sitecore, T4, Wordpress, etc.
- Understanding and familiarity with packaging content for digital distribution/optimization.
- Proficient in common platforms to support operational efficiencies (e.g., Trello, Airtable, etc.)
- Health care experience.
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS for web customization
- Demonstrated ability to manage content and editorial workflows for multiple channels at the same time.
- Familiarity with ADA Compliance for websites
- A master’s degree in journalism, public relations, a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This position is eligible for flexible work arrangements, including remote work
Position Details: Senior Communications Specialist 1-3
Department: University Relations
Employment Type: Full-Time
Exemptions Status: Exempt