Culture Writer, Mic
Mic is seeking a part-time Culture Writer to work remotely. Writers should be able to work 3-4 days during business hours EST. Coverage will include pitching and writing analysis, commentary, and reported pieces on trends and news across the worlds of music, film, television, and social media.
Mic’s culture section covers everything from the latest memes on Instagram to the historical context of Kanye West’s move to Montana. We strive to illustrate the ways in which political forces shape our culture with clarity and levity. Ideal candidates understand how to translate the news into meaningful commentary that explores the intersection of culture and politics. Rather than mere news aggregation, the focus of this role will be on writing insightful and creative analyses on a particular news theme or event, not news briefs.
Ideal candidates should have at least 3+ years of experience in reporting and/or writing, ideally about culture or news. Most importantly, you should bring a unique perspective with a definitive voice to your work. Please make that clear in your cover letter.
- Pitch and write 1-2 commentary/analysis pieces on the news theme of the day
- Synthesize information in a way that is digestible and relevant to our audience
- Work well in teams, listen to direction, and pitch in where needed
- Follow Mic style and turn in clear, conversational copy
- Monitor social media and identify fresh angles on top news stories
- 3+ years reporting and writing experience
- Ability to write clearly and accurately
- Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards
- Comfortable covering a wide range of topics
- A strong voice and innovative ideas
- Availability to work remotely at least 3 business days per week
BDG is one of today’s leading, global media companies with a portfolio of distinct digital and experiential brands that are shaping culture. Over 100 million readers and 105 social fans turn to our brands - Bustle, Elite Daily, NYLON, The Zoe Report, W, Fatherly, Romper, Scary Mommy, The Dad, Gawker, Input, Inverse, and Mic – to hear from a set of diverse voices around the issues and interests engaging the next generation. BDG was founded in 2013 and is headquartered in New York City.
Job Type: Part-time