Accounting Associate 🔥
**Due to COVID-19, FUTURES is requiring employees to provide proof of full vaccination. The position will be a combination of in-person and remote work.**
Futures Without Violence (FUTURES) is a national, nonprofit organization that focuses on domestic violence education, prevention, and public policy reform. The mission of Futures Without Violence is to stem the epidemic of domestic violence in our homes by developing prevention strategies in the justice, public education, and public health fields.
DEPARTMENT & POSITION:
The Finance department is responsible for recording and maintaining documentation to support the organization’s financial transactions as well as the implementation and maintenance of an effective control environment to safeguard the organization’s assets. The department provides support services to Futures Without Violence to ensure good stewardship of resources across all programs and teams.
We are looking for someone who is highly motivated, a team player, detail-oriented, and committed to social justice. The Accounting Associate will report to the Controller and work in close cooperation with finance and program staff. The primary role is the processing of accounts payable in compliance with agency policies and procedures and various accounting-related duties including account reconciliations and analyses as prescribed by the Controller.
- Full cycle accounts payable responsibilities. Review and input vendor invoices and employee expense reports with proper payment authorization and supporting documentation. Prepare and distribute checks and ACH payments on a weekly basis to provide timely payment to vendors and employees
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies and procedures, and regulations
- Code and enter cash receipts (checks and electric) into the general ledger
- Work collaboratively with finance and procurement teams to ensure accurate GL coding and proper proof of receipts. Reconcile AP with vendor statements to ensure AP records are correct
- Set up, maintenance, and reconciliation of Purchase Orders, including listing and communication of contract status and outstanding balances to Budget Managers
- Create and maintain vendor master data in accounting system
- Communicate in a professional manner with vendors or program staff regarding invoice status and payment matters; performing necessary research and resolution of disputed items
- Review and transfer of online expense reports (Concur) to the general ledger.
- Responsible for administration of the online expense management system (Concur), including grant ID’s, user accounts, and approval routing.
- Provide training to staff for expense reconciliation in Concur, and ongoing support as needed.
- Reconcile employee receivables and send requests to approve payment via payroll deduction
- Process monthly allocations for postage, telecommunications, prepaids, and other expenses as prescribed by the Accounting Manager and the Controller
- Submit regular report of independent contractors to California EDD
- Assist with the year-end close and provide supporting documents and schedules for annual audit and tax return
- Assist with the annual 1099 filing process
- Complete Department of Justice financial management training upon hire and every three years thereafter
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- A minimum of 2 years of accounting experience required
- High level of accuracy is required
- Excellent communication skills along with the ability to analyze data and problem solve
- Must have strong organizational skills, be able to manage multiple tasks, and meet deadlines efficiently
- Must demonstrate personal initiative as well as the ability to work well in a team
- Excellent command of office applications including databases, and Microsoft Office Suite (specifically Outlook, Excel, Word, and SharePoint)
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance strongly preferred
- Experience using accounting software, knowledge of Financial Edge NXT preferred
- Experience using automated expense management system preferred
- Nonprofit experience preferred
- Essential functions of the position require use of a computer and phone, sit at a desk for several hours a day, and the ability to follow reasonable ergonomic recommendations.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. The pay rate for this position is $31.25 hourly, annualized at $65,000. FUTURES offers excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage, plus tax-advantaged Flexible Spending Arrangements for Health Care and Dependent Care. FUTURES employees can take advantage of generous sick and vacation benefits including 13 paid holidays, 3 weeks of vacation, 12 days of sick and safe leave per year, and an employer-matched 401k retirement plan.
Futures Without Violence is committed to providing equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, marital or family status, veteran status, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, disability or medical condition, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.