Staff, Data Engineer - Email Platform 🔥
Join the team as our next Staff, Data Engineer - Email PlatformWho we are & why we’re hiring
Twilio powers real-time business communications and data solutions that helpbuild better applications and customer experiences.
Although we're headquartered in San Francisco, we're on a journey to becoming a globally antiracist company that supportsAbout the job wherever we do business. We employ thousands of Twilions worldwide, and we're looking for more builders, creators, and visionaries to help fuel our growth momentum.
This position is needed to fulfill the critical role of a Staff Data Engineer within Twilio Sendgrid, to be both hands-on as well as a thought leader in creating, deploying and managing highly available, very large scale distributed systems.
Our systems sent 7 billion emails on Cyber Monday 2021 and we continue to scale! You will be a key contributor in one or more of these areas - Re-architect existing systems to scale further, build new product offerings that provide deep insights around the health of our customer's email program, build next generation integration platforms combining sendgrid tech stack with Twilio's existing platform.Responsibilities
In this role, you’ll:
- Be An Owner: Participate in technical decisions with your team and across your functional domains on large scale projects. Work with your team on initiatives/projects with operational reliability factors such as monitoring, performance and capacity planning, security, and disaster response. -
- Empower Others: Help, guide, mentor and influence the team by sharing your knowledge and experience, in solving complex challenges. Actively remove oneself as a single point of failure.
- Ruthlessly Prioritize: Advocates for balancing between tech debt and feature development by collaborating with engineering and product.
- Wear The Customer's Shoes: Ship reliable features, at scale, that deliver the most value to your customers. You will partner with engineering and product to understand customers’ challenges, see opportunities, craft solutions, and lead the team to deliver the right value.
- Be Bold: Embrace calculated risks, while understanding the tradeoffs between technology choices.
- Be Inclusive: Collaborate with a diverse group of people with different backgrounds.
- Don't settle: Constantly look for areas of improvement in systems and optimize.
- 5+ years of experience building real-time data analytics, data ingestion, or data warehouse systems.
- 7+ years of relevant experience building highly available, scalable, fault tolerant and maintainable distributed systems.
- Understands importance of availability and reliability.
- Operational excellence focussed mindset: Understands value of monitoring with metrics and alerting. Knows how to build resilient systems that are maintainable for years to come.
- Hands-on experience in SQL and Strong experience with one or more of the following languages - Golang, Java, C#
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills. Ability to articulate and present vision to both technical and non technical stakeholders.
- Deep understanding of distributed databases such as SingleStore and Snowflake.
- Experience working with event streaming platforms such as Kafka and Kinesis.
- Experience with REST API design and implementation.
- Experience working on projects that are subject to privacy compliance regulations.
- Experience with AWS, GCP, Azure or other public cloud infrastructure platforms.
- Experience with DevOps or SRE, blending development best practices with operational excellence.
- Experience with container orchestration and other technologies: Kubernetes, Redis, Buildkite, Chef.
- The estimated pay range for this role, based in Colorado, is $160,080 - $220,110
The successful candidate’s starting salary will be determined based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location within the state. This role is also eligible to participate in Twilio’s equity plan and for the following benefits: health care insurance, 401(k) retirement account, paid sick time, paid personal time off, paid parental leave.