Interactive Art Director - Partner Experiences
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
Our product mission is to be the best place on earth for sports fans. We already provide an unrivaled breadth and depth of sports coverage. We are now looking for an experienced interactive designer who can help conceive and deliver novel interactive content experiences that celebrate The Athletic’s growing portfolio of strategic partnerships.
As a Sr. Interaction Designer, you will be helping lead cross-functional initiatives to pitch external partners on innovative product integrations across both web and app. You will also be responsible for seeing them through to final delivery.
There’s ample opportunity here for a multifaceted designer that thrives in a blue-sky environment, deftly balances thinking and making, and wishes to help define our company’s principles around sponsor-centric initiatives.
- Work across multiple cross-functional teams, partnering with Product Managers, Engineers, Content Operations, SEO Strategists, and Product Analysts to take concepts from ideation to execution.
- Pitch and present ideas to internal and external stakeholders.
- Understand the competitive environment and stay on top of great user experiences, especially within sports media and journalism.
- Collaborate with the entire Design Studio to both implement and identify opportunities to bolster sponsorship strategy.
- Create user flows, storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, and production-ready design deliverables.
- Work with engineers to ensure design quality and consistency across the user experience.
- Support high-level product strategy, ensuring we're asking the right questions and solving for the most important internal and external user needs.
- +5 years experience agency, media and/or consumer brand experience working as a senior designer or art director.
- Experience working across a variety of digital formats and mediums.
- Deep understanding of web and mobile application paradigms, requirements, and trends.
- Strong Visual and Interaction Design skills, synthesized in an online portfolio or presentation.
- Experience conceptualizing high level strategies quickly and with meticulous attention to detail.
- Experience seeing work with engineers, operations, executives and vendors with a high standard of quality and collaboration.
- Ability to manage your time across several workstreams.
- An eagerness to try new things, innovate and learn - and a willingness to learn from mistakes.
- Enthusiasm for being part of a multidisciplinary design studio and a collaborative design process.
- Expert Figma skills, knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite.
- Experience with prototyping as a means to explore and convey design solutions.
- Ability to draft micro-interactions and full scale product animations in After Effects.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Athletic focuses on Digital Media, Sports, Publishing, News, and Journalism. Their company has offices in Los Angeles, San Francisco, New York, San Francisco Bay Area, and Boston. They have a large team that's between 201-500 employees. To date, Athletic has raised $68.1M of funding; their latest round was closed on January 2022.
You can view their website ator find them on , , and .