Senior Accountant - 100% Remote 🔥
- A world-class accountant?
- Great at building personal relationships?
- Experienced in managing bookkeeping for small businesses?
- Interested in joining a growing, dynamic startup?
If so, this opportunity is for you!
BooksTime is looking for an exceptional accountant to join our small but growing team as an Accounting Supervisor & Relationship Manager. This role is 100% remote.
In this role, you will not be doing basic bookkeeping yourself. See below for a list of this role's responsibilities.
Note: A cover letter and skills assessments are required. For your application to be considered you MUST submit a cover letter and both skills assessments in addition to your resume. Please provide a brief cover letter that answers the following 2 questions: (1) What would your ideal job look like? (2) What do you think will be most challenging about this role, based on the description?
Who we are:
BooksTime is an ambitious, innovative accounting & bookkeeping startup with operations in 3 countries. BooksTime was founded in 2016 and we've been growing fast. For more information, check out our website: bookstime.com.
Please note that we don't provide tax or assurance services.
What you'll do:
As Accounting Supervisor & Relationship Manager, you'll:
- Set up services for new clients: When a new client signs up, you'll talk with them and review their books in order to understand their needs. Then, you'll propose a scope of services that would be relevant for them (the sales team will help present this to the client). Once the client confirms the proposed scope, it's your job to come up with a detailed plan regarding how we're going to implement those services. A set of international bookkeepers will be assigned to each client. You'll help get them started on the services for each new client, while coordinating between the different people involved at the client's company and at BooksTime. Throughout this process, your goals are to try to build a personal relationship with the client, and to manage their expectations effectively.
- Supervise services for a portfolio of clients: You'll supervise an international team of bookkeepers to ensure each client's needs are met on an ongoing basis. You may be called on to help the bookkeepers with any requests that go beyond their abilities.
- Manage communication with clients: For some clients, you will serve as the primary point of contact, even after the initial setup phase is over. In these cases, the international bookkeeping team will still handle all of the bookkeeping work. However, you'll handle some of the communication with the client. Sometimes, this is as simple as answering a few questions here and there, and forwarding a few monthly reports. However, if a client does not have an in-house Controller, you may end up helping to fill that gap for them. In other words, you will essentially be acting as an outsourced Controller for some clients.
Additionally, you may occasionally be asked to help with related work in other areas of the business. We're a fast-growing startup, so from time to time we ask everyone to help out with projects beyond their normal range of responsibilities. This could be anything from researching software options to developing a customer service training program for our front-line bookkeeping staff.
We're looking for someone who is:
- Experienced. We need an accountant who has handled the accounting for multiple different small businesses and/or non-profits (either working within the organization or in an accounting/bookkeeping firm). The ideal candidate has had titles like: CFO, VP of Finance, Director of Accounting, Finance Manager, Controller, Full Charge Bookkeeper, Senior Accountant, etc. Management experience is very valuable for this role. However, candidates must also have experience working directly in QuickBooks (not just supervising someone who does).
- Knowledgeable. You must have an excellent understanding of accounting & bookkeeping best practices. The ideal candidate has a degree in accounting or a closely related field such as finance, business or economics, though this isn't strictly required. Being a CPA is a plus, but definitely not required. Same goes for being a ProAdvisor.
- Highly organized. This role is a high-speed juggling act. You need to juggle multiple clients with different services and coordinate the work of a diverse team of bookkeepers. This requires exceptional organizational, time management, and project management skills.
- Great at building strong, personal relationships. You are the primary contact for a set of clients. It's important that you establish a personal rapport with the clients. More than just a bookkeeper, the goal in this position is to become a trusted advisor to each client. This takes relationship-building skills and a friendly, outgoing attitude.
- Detail-oriented. Clients judge us a lot by our accuracy and precision. The ideal candidate hates making mistakes and is extremely detail-oriented.
- A great communicator. As the face of BooksTime to the client, you should have excellent professional communication skills. You'll need to be perfectly fluent in English (both written and spoken).
- Tech-savvy. You'll need to be adept with computers and good at figuring out new systems and tools. Excel expertise is preferred. QuickBooks Online and/or Desktop experience is required. Experience with other accounting software, such as FreshBooks, Xero, Intacct, or NetSuite, is not required but would definitely be a big plus.
- An adaptable, fast learner. Every client has a different set of software, processes, requirements, etc., so each new client is a learning experience. We need someone who feels very comfortable diving in and figuring things out independently (though there will always be people who can help!). If you're at your happiest maintaining a well-established process that someone else designed, this is NOT the ideal role for you. If you love looking for creative solutions to new problems all the time, you could be a perfect fit!
Why join BooksTime:
- Make history. Our startup is still fairly small, but we have big plans to disrupt the accounting and bookkeeping industry. This is a great opportunity to get in early at a startup that, we believe, is on its way to becoming an industry leader.
- Do work that matters. The projects you'll be working on will be critical to the success of the company and our clients.
- Flexible hours. We work at all hours, so we can design a schedule that works for you. Both part time and full time roles are available. Please note, while this is a highly flexible role availability during business hours is required and some availability in the mornings is also needed.*
- Grow with the company. As our company continues to grow, there will be many opportunities to take on new responsibilities and grow professionally.
- Work that stays fresh. You'll have with a diverse portfolio of 10-30 clients (depending on their size) in a broad range of industries, using a variety of different software and all with different goals and personality types. There will always be tons of opportunities to learn new things. Plus, given the pace of change at our growing startup, we can pretty much guarantee that you'll never be bored.
- Constant Improvement. One of our core values at BooksTime is Constant Improvement. It applies to everything we do. We're always pushing to do better, from thinking of new ways to "wow" our clients to discovering opportunities to make internal processes more efficient. Our goal is to become the #1 bookkeeping firm in the country -- and our relentless focus on Constant Improvement is what will get us there. Every member of our team plays a role, and you'll have an especially big role to play in this position. We can't wait to hear your ideas about how we can do better. If you're looking for a role that gives you ample opportunity to make a big impact -- you've found it!
*Time Zones - IMPORTANT: You need to work in Central or Eastern Time business hours. You'll need to be able to communicate with our European team for 2-3 hours per day (and they leave the office around 11am or noon Eastern Time) as well as with our clients, who are all in the US.
*Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-time preferred. For part-time, a minimum of 25 hours per week would be required.
Compensation: The rates mentioned in this posting are starting rates. For a high performer, these can grow. We review compensation every 6 months, instead of every 12 months, so you have more opportunities for compensation growth based on performance.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $27.00 - $39.00 per hour
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Monday to Friday
- Bonus pay
This position has always been done remotely, regardless of Covid.
- Would you be willing to undergo a background check?
- We have asked for a cover letter in the job post. This is a friendly reminder to include one here. Have you included a cover letter? If not, why? (Let us know if there were any technical issues.)
- We have asked that you take the Indeed Skills assessment ("Accounting Skills: Bookkeeping", and "Principles of Accounting") They should be sent to you automatically, or you can find them on Indeed. Have you included these assessments? If not, why? (Let us know if there were any technical issues.)
- We are only looking for applicants in Eastern Time, Central Time, or Atlantic Time. What time zone are you in?
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- Accounting: 1 year (Required)
- Managing Multiple Clients: 2 years (Preferred)
- QuickBooks: 1 year (Preferred)
- English (Preferred)
- Fully Remote
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
Company's Facebook page:
- Remote interview process
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
Work Location: Remote