Director Of People 🔥
The States United Democracy Center, a nonpartisan organization focused on the critical role states play in election protection, is hiring its first Director of People to join its dynamic and growing team.
In partnership with the Chief Operating Officer, the Director of People will lead the strategy, planning, and execution of identifying, attracting, engaging, and retaining talent at States United.
The Director of People will be the subject matter expert on all things human resources which includes but is not limited to, performance management, learning and development, organizational design, talent acquisition, talent engagement and retention, succession planning, talent relations, talent operations (e.g. payroll, benefits, People systems), and total rewards.
This individual will provide thought leadership, serve as a trusted advisor and business partner, and ensure that all People practices, policies, systems, tools, and resources are aligned with States United’s values and prioritize diversity, equity, and inclusion.
About the Organization:
The States United Democracy Center is a new and growing nonpartisan organization advancing free, fair, and secure elections. We focus on connecting pro-democracy state and local officials, law enforcement leaders, and other partners across the U.S. with the tools and expertise they need to safeguard our democracy. During the 2020 election, then as the Voter Protection Program, we quickly became a go-to resource for state leaders, the press, and partner organizations. By bringing together current and former governors, secretaries of state, attorneys general, and law enforcement leaders for the first time, we helped build a nonpartisan firewall against those trying to undermine democracy. Now as States United, we support these partners in protecting the integrity of elections, holding those who seek to undermine democracy accountable, and preventing acts of political violence.
- Define, establish, plan, and execute States United’s People strategy over the short and long-term, and be the go-to resource for States United’s employees, on all matters related to People.
- Partner closely with States United’s Executive team to shape, plan, and execute on organizational design and structure.
- Partner closely with the Executive team to ensure that DEI objectives are integrated across all People policies, practices, programs, systems, tools, and resources.
- Manage and drive all aspects of talent acquisition strategy and recruitment management, including: coaching and guiding hiring managers throughout the full recruitment cycle; drafting, editing, and posting job descriptions across all mediums; developing interview guides, questions, and candidate scorecards; managing external recruitment resources such as search firms and consultants, and ATS management.
- Manage and drive the onboarding process for all new hires. Including, but not limited to, partnering with hiring managers to prepare an onboarding schedule and presentations that are unified and consistent with the needs of the department and the organization.
- Direct the employee performance management program, ensure that managers are competent in assessing and evaluating employees, and ensure that employees receive respectful and effective performance appraisals on an annual basis.
- Coach, guide, and provide resources to employees on all matters pertaining to People as well as manage and drive benefits and compensation administration.
- Oversee benefits providers and secure new providers as needed.
- Partner and direct all external People consultants and resources.
- Leverage resources and partners to understand, assess, enhance, and continually audit States United’s People policies, practices, programs, systems, tools, and resources to ensure that they meet federal, state, and local requirements, remain relevant, and innovative in order to effectively identify, attract, engage, and retain talent. This includes but is not limited to:
- Employer Branding
- Performance Management
- Learning and Development
- Talent Acquisition
- Talent Experience (e.g. orientation, onboarding)
- Talent Relations
- Total Rewards
- Identify areas of opportunities, propose, plan, and execute on these ideas to continually strengthen States United’s culture and be an employer of choice.
- Develop exceptional employee experiences through community-building activities.
- Stay abreast of new and emerging employment laws and People compliance and ensure the timely integration of applicable requirements as appropriate.
- Facilitate People meetings, events, and programming.
- Lead, drive, and bring to a successful conclusion on all People initiatives, projects, and events.
- 8+ years of People experience with a minimum of 3+ years Generalist experience leading, planning, and driving People strategy, project management, execution, and talent relations.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience in talent relations, staying abreast of emerging and new employment laws, and People compliance with an ability to integrate applicable requirements effectively and in a timely manner.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to identify, initiate, and nurture internal and external relationships across all levels.
- Exceptional ability to maintain confidentiality and objectivity, practice sound judgment, build and foster trust.
- Outstanding communication skills (written and verbal) with the ability to listen to understand.
- Outstanding facilitation and negotiation skills with the ability to engage all levels of the organization.
- Strong project management skills with an ability to map out a project from beginning to end, effectively manage stakeholders’ expectations, harmoniously drive toward completion, and ensure project objectives are met.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to effectively practice critical thinking to research, leverage, and synthesize macro events and activities (international and domestic) to enhance and strengthen People policies, practices, programs, systems, tools, and resources.
- Strong initiative and solutions-oriented -- comfortable working with ambiguity, is resourceful, and creatively finds solutions and partnerships to meet the needs and challenges of the tasks at hand.
- Operationally savvy -- enjoys and is comfortable designing, building, rolling out, and facilitating training around new People policies, practices, programs, systems, tools, and resources.
- Experience working at a non-profit in human resources.
- Experience working with a talent population that is distributed and remote across the United States.
- Experience in hiring and developing teams.
- Advanced degree in Human Resources or related field.
- Human Resources Certification such as SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, PHR, or SPHR.
We encourage individuals to submit their application for consideration even if they believe they do not have all of the preferred qualifications.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary will be between $125,000 and $140,000 commensurate to experience.
100% employer paid health, vision, and dental plans. Matching retirement benefits. Generous paid time off.
States United offices are located in Washington, DC and Boston, MA, however, this position can be remotely based.
States United Democracy Center is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.