Security Engineer 🔥
What we do
Civis Analytics helps leading businesses, nonprofits, and government use data to identify, attract, and engage customers, constituents, and citizens. With a blend of proprietary data, technology and advisory services, and an interdisciplinary team of data scientists, developers, and survey science experts, Civis helps organizations stop guessing and start using statistical proof to guide decisions. Learn more about Civis at.
Our mission is to bring objective, data-driven truth to organizational decision-making – all the way from the boardroom to the world’s largest social causes.
What we are looking for
Civis is seeking a Cloud Security Engineer to enhance the security of the Civis Data Science Platform hosted on AWS. This position will work very closely with the Director of Information Security on setting and executing Civis’ cloud security strategy and driving cloud security solutions that meet key security program milestones and cost objectives.
As a Cloud Security Engineer, you will be responsible for championing AWS cloud security, with broad knowledge of system and data security, threat and vulnerability management and AWS security services and best practices to ensure that the Civis Data Science Platform is adequately protected against internal and external threats, as well as operating in compliance with SOC2 and FedRAMP requirements.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about cloud security and who implements creative solutions to a wide variety of real-world technical issues. An ideal candidate would bring with them expertise in creative problem solving, the ability to work on multiple tasks in parallel, and the ability to manage expectations in a fast-paced environment, all while maintaining a high quality of work. We are looking for an individual who can rapidly adapt and learn new technologies/concepts.
- Lead Civis’ Cloud Security by working alongside both engineering and security teams to enhance the security of Civis Data Science Platform and to ensure our AWS infrastructure is well-protected.
- Responsible for developing technical our cloud security plan, evaluating/reviewing existing cloud security configuration, and proposing improvements for future enhancements/solutions.
- Develop, maintain and implement information security policies, standards and procedures and ensure projects related to Information Technology infrastructure and Engineering adhere to Security by Design principles.
- Assess the risk of open source libraries, applications and architectures through threat modeling and communicating potential vulnerabilities.
- Help to define and implement SecDevOps and SDLC practices across Civis’s engineering team, promoting a security-first mindset.
- Provide security insights to developers to build security metrics into our products.
- Perform continuous security assessments, reports findings and provide recommendations to the Director of Information Security.
- Work with various stakeholders and assist in the development and maintenance of the access control matrices as they apply to various applications.
- 2+ years of hands-on AWS cloud security experience.
- 3+ years of technical hands-on security engineering experience.
- Hands-on experience with Python scripting language.
- Familiar with application security frameworks and tooling such as SAST, DAST and/or SCA.
- Deep understanding of AWS security solutions - e.g.,IAM, security groups, VPC, Security Hub, ECR, Inspectors, and best practices.
- Strong foundational knowledge in information technology, including cloud services, networking, architecture, protocols, file systems, and linux operating systems.
- Passionate about SecDevOps and promoting security culture across the organization.
- Ability to comfortably collaborate across IT disciplines and teams including third parties and be able to provide constructive input into the discussion.
- Ability to work rapidly with the pressure of completing deadlines and frequent interruptions in a fast-paced team environment.
- Attention to details, and understanding how systems thinking can improve to make an impact with smart moves in people, processes, and technologies
- Provide emergency on-call support on a rotating schedule.
- Excellence in documentation of policies, procedures, and guidelines
- Strong problem-solving and process improvement skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Pertinent AWS Certifications.
- Experience with SaaS products.
- Experience with data encryption and access control.
- Practical experience in implementing and monitoring information security compliance and frameworks (e.g., NIST CSF, CIS Top 20, FedRAMP, SOC2).
- Demonstrated ability to translate requirements into design and subsequent solution build.
- Experience applying security risk assessment methodology to system development, including threat model development, vulnerability assessments, and resultant security risk analysis.
- The opportunity to be part of a growing tech startup focused on solving interesting and meaningful problems, invested in internal promotion, and committed to fostering a diverse, equal and inclusive workplace.
- Competitive benefits, including unlimited PTO, 401K match with immediate vesting, health, dental, and vision benefits, fully paid parental leave, breastfeeding support including breastmilk shipping services for traveling moms, commuter benefits, wellness initiatives including weekly group meditations, monthly on-site massage therapy, and pet insurance.
- To support employees in our now fully remote work environment, we also have expanded our virtual journal and book clubs, Donut Pals (organized virtual coffee meet-ups), Lightning Talks (5-minute presentations on anything you’d like), Lunch-and-Learns, and HR Open Discussions (bi-weekly meet-up where we discuss ideas and topics of the day in a casual format). We are also able to support and accommodate flexible work from home schedules to help employees juggle responsibilities at home.
Civis Analytics embraces the individuality of our employees and we celebrate each other's differences. Our products, services, and culture benefit from and thrive on the unique perspectives brought by each person in our community. We're proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, age, sex, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States.