Director Of Finance and Business Analytics 🔥
Project Evident exists to help organizations harness the power of evidence to achieve greater impact. We do this by offering a comprehensive platform of tools, resources, and services to help state education agencies, local education agencies, nonprofits and funders improve how they measure, evaluate, and report results, while strengthening their ability to act using this evidence.
Project Evident strives to be a trusted partner – to practitioners, funders, and other stakeholders committed to stronger, meaningful, and equitable outcomes for communities and individuals so that all can participate, prosper, and reach their full potential. We believe in the power of data and evidence to address social and racial justice and seek to advance a next generation ecosystem for actionable evidence building and use. We lean into our mission through our values, specifically:
● Practitioner Focused - We center on practitioners and ground our work in their needs and contexts. We help practitioners strengthen meaningful and equitable outcomes for the communities and individuals they serve and lift up their work so it can be better understood and supported by funders and policy makers.
● Committed to Learning, Inclusion, and Transparency - We are frank, honest, and compassionate with our colleagues, clients, funders, and stakeholders. We seek input and feedback from a wide range of voices and share our learnings openly with others. We recognize that evidence is not immune from the racism and inequities that exist in our society and strive to understand the context in which we operate and to uphold the principles of belonging, dignity, and justice through our work.
● Smart, Warm, Approachable and Productive -
○ Smart - we strive to find practical, implementable solutions
○ Warm - we bring an attitude of heart and positivity and work through discomfort
○ Approachable - we keep open and curious minds, welcoming differing viewpoints
○ Productive - we hold ourselves accountable to the goals and timelines we set with our colleagues and partners, and course correct as needed
● Oriented to Actionable Evidence - We work with partners to build and use relevant and timely data and evidence to continuously learn, improve, and make meaningful, equitable, and cost effective decisions both for ourselves and partnering organizations.
The Director of Finance and Business Analytics will lead all day-to-day financial operations including the functional responsibility of accounting, payroll, staffing allocations, budget management, contract and grant administration, financial reporting, and business analytics. While ensuring the smooth operations of the finance function, this person will strategically build and evolve the systems to foster growth and support the Project Evident team. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer and partner closely with the Director of Operations, and Managing Directors.
This role comes at a key time in the trajectory of Project Evident, where we are implementing a strategic growth plan that is shaping and building an evolving infrastructure and culture while laying the groundwork for the successful transition from our fiscal sponsor to and independent 501(c)3. Key to this next stage will be to partner with our outsourced Fiscal Agent to transition all financial processes in house. This individual will assist in the design and build of the architecture of the accounting system, ensuring that the design aligns with the strategic objectives and growth of Project Evident.
He/She/They will play a critical role in integrating existing software with the new accounting system for the improved maintenance of accounting records, timely and accurate processing of financial transactions, effective communication of financial information and staffing allocation for use within and across verticals. This position will work with the Fiscal Sponsor and maintain ownership for the administration of a comprehensive set of controls and budgets designed to mitigate risk and ensure that reported results comply with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). The Director of Finance and Business Analytics will coordinate with organizational leaders to ensure that their reporting needs are met and delivering the information they require to analyze and advance their programming.
The Director of Finance and Business Analytics will work collaboratively with a high impact team in an entrepreneurial organizational culture. He/She/They will work closely across all levels of the organization to understand the evolving needs of the programs, educate members regarding finance and accounting, and provide modeling to the organization to better understand the financial implications of strategic decisions. This position requires the capability and comfort managing the requests and needs of senior leadership with extreme attention to detail, the capacity to manage or switch among multiple tasks rapidly, ability to meet deadlines, and experience and ease with a variety of online tools and software.
Finance, Accounting & Analytics
- Manage all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards and regulatory requirements
- Process and ensure the accuracy of all financial transactions including AP, AR, banking, payroll, and purchase cards. In line with fiscal sponsor requirements.
- Oversee and process payroll
- Manage the successful transition of all accounting and financial activities from outsourced Financial Agent
- Partner with Chief Operating Officer and departmental leads to build an inclusive and comprehensive organization wide budget and forecast process
- Provide regular financial reporting including budget progress reports by program/ grant and organizational, staff productivity analysis, dashboards, objectives and key results and other reports as determined
- Oversee allocation process for all organizational expenses, including management of online time tracking system (Harvest), grant allocations, customer invoicing, and allocation of shared costs (including admin and occupancy) across verticals
- Responsible for maintaining and updating the Finance and Accounting Policies and Procedures handbook.
- Design and implement internal controls that ensure an accurate system of checks and balances
- Responsible for implementing new financial software that integrate with existing systems including but not limited to Salesforce, Harvest, and Forecast
- Manage and optimize data systems to produce relevant data and promote ease of use
- Manage all G/L accounts, classifications, templates and reports for analysis and consistency
- Prepare quarterly data and reports for the board and participate in board meetings
- Design and maintain financial dashboard that provides senior leadership with a current view of financial health
- Prepare key schedules in preparation for the annual audit and corporate tax returns
- Assist in issuing timely, accurate, and complete financial reports and statements for all levels, including Board of Directors, executive leaders, investors and management
- Lead periodic grant and contract meetings with Chief Operating Officer, Managing Directors and stakeholders to discuss the upcoming deadlines, budgets, allocations, reports and troubleshooting any potential areas of concern
- Provide a high level of customer service around short- and long-term financial management and sustainability
- Support senior leadership by analyzing trends and variances
- Respond to inquiries from vendors, funders, internal and external partners in a timely manner
- Establishes and maintains positive relationships with team members, vendors, funders, SEA, LEA, non-profit partners, and others
- Works directly with our Fiscal Sponsor until spinout, to provide timely and effective public and private contract and grants management in line with goals.
- Works directly with stakeholders to build efficiencies that improve our contracting and grants management systems to ensure accurate and timely invoicing and prepare for operational independence from our Fiscal Sponsor.
- Responsible for managing the accurate and timely tracking, budgeting, allocation and financial reporting of foundation, corporate, and government grants, keeping in-line with grant terms.
- Collaborates with the team to identify and implement improvements to the contract and grant tracking management system(s) which manages drawdowns, allocations, reporting, restrictions, and projections.
- Provides clear and timely information to team members regarding status of contracts and support in the use of internal systems.
- Collaborates with and provides reporting and training to staff as needed, to support compliance and fiscal processes related to contract and grant writing, management, and development including but not limited to philanthropic grants, public, federal and private contracting.
- Develops forms, processes, procedures, and policies for the purpose of implementing a consistent grant application methodology.
- Administers and monitors contracts and grants in Salesforce and NetSuite, including managing any amendments or extensions, ensuring accurate and timely entry of data and management of systems.
- Leads and coordinates with the management team the grant, contract and vendor relationships and all related activity including, but not limited to communications, contract management and extensions, internal audits, invoicing and timely billing and/or payment.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or equivalent experience. MBA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or equivalent experience preferred
- 5-7 years of non-profit accounting and finance experience
- Experience in producing and developing financial models and analysis
- Demonstrated experience managing the request and needs of senior leadership while providing sound financial guidance
- Solid experience in leading audit activities, financial reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, payroll, and accounting for investments
- Track record in grants and contracts management with public, private and government entities as it relates to compliance and reporting of foundation, corporate, and government grants is essential
- Demonstrated expertise with accounting software, and data management systems e.g. NetSuite, QuickBooks, Excel, Salesforce, Harvest, etc.
- High degree of proficiency with Microsoft Excel (i.e. pivot tables, spreadsheets, vlookups, if statements, etc.)
- Intermediate level of experience using common cloud-based productivity tools, e.g. GoogleDocs, Office 365, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Slack
- Impeccable attention to detail and extremely high standards for accuracy
- Experience working with diverse communities and a deep commitment to social and racial justice
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience gathering, evaluating, presenting, and reporting financial information and key data across all levels of management, including board members, funders, and other external stakeholders
- Demonstrated experience managing and having oversight of internal financial management information systems
- Strong analytical systems thinker with the thirst to learn new and innovative technological solutions
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to respond adeptly to rapidly changing priorities, comfortable in a start-up environment with fast deadlines
- Keen analytic, organization and problem-solving skills which allow for strategic data interpretation versus simple reporting
- Technologically savvy with experience overseeing software installations and managing relationship with software vendors; advanced knowledge of accounting and reporting software
- Active listener who seeks clarification, asks questions, and surfaces solutions.
- Commitment to learning, mentoring, and training others
- Ability and desire to translate complex financial concepts to individuals at all levels including finance and non-financial partners, board members, funders, and external stakeholders
- Commitment to high performance culture, participate in giving and receiving feedback and belief in continuous and self-improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects; ability to effectively prioritize time and tasks
- Experience working effectively with multiple stakeholders who may have evolving priorities
- Ability to interface with diverse staff and partners in various domains.
- Comfort working virtually
- Ability to work with a virtual team, Boston based preferred
- Expected to work 40-50 hours per week
- Up to 10% travel depending on location
Submission and Interview Process
Candidates wishing to be considered for this position, must submit a cover letter and resume.
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that applicants with qualifying disabilities may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Candidates invited for a full interview will be asked to complete an assessment and present their findings in a virtual interview using Zoom or Microsoft Teams to demonstrate his/her/their capabilities and skills.
Project Evident, a project of Tides Center, is an “at-will” and equal opportunity employer. Applicants and employees shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender (including pregnancy and gender expression) identity, color, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law or ordinance.