Product Designer 🔥
About Widespread Care
At Widespread Care, we are building community-owned technology for collective care. We aim to help autonomous organizations launch, recruit members, care for people, run democratically, and collaborate with one another. Our nonprofit status gives us the freedom to focus on our mission. We’re an early-stage startup led by people who have started and grown multiple ventures.
We believe cooperatives and collectives controlled by community members will create the working and living conditions that people deserve. Our work is informed by more than a decade walking alongside community health workers, practices of relational organizing, and histories of collective action in the face of oppression. We are starting by co-creating tools with doulas protecting the well-being of families. We’re searching for a talented product designer to join our team.
You’ve designed software products with responsibility and care for people’s end-to-end experience. You may have worked on large product teams, small teams, or solo, and you’re excited about joining a small team where you’ll be responsible for major product decisions. You are a champion for dignified experiences and you’re known for exceptional work products.
You love prototyping! Feedback gives you energy and insights for the next iteration. You aim to recognize power within communities and shift power to communities, and you’re excited about the design methods, processes, and tools that will help with these shifts.
You see how Widespread Care’s mission affects you and people you care about. Perhaps some part of your personal history connects with care or service work. Your experiences will help shape what we build together.
You are excited about these questions: How might care cooperatives and collective care become normal, everyday aspects of our lives? What are the opportunities to value care work and depart from histories of exploitation? What would it look and feel like to create new commons in the world? How can technology support, rather than hinder, the autonomy and self-determination of communities?
You can imagine a future of widespread care by and for the people. You see how your design work today, in partnership with communities, will be critical in bringing that future into existence.
- Design user experiences, spanning web and mobile applications
- Create user interfaces with modern design tools
- Partner with caregivers and community members as co-designers
- Develop and deploy prototypes
- Create prototyping plans and onboard key stakeholders
- Collaborate with engineers, caregivers, data scientists, and other teammates as part of multi-disciplinary product teams
- Gather and make sense of quantitative and qualitative data on user experiences
- Travel in the U.S. (approximately quarterly) to work with caregivers and teammates
- Co-develop product strategy and budgeting
- Contribute to our overall brand strategy and community assets
- Contribute to partnership strategy and plans for team evolution
- Annual salary for this full-time role is $100,000
- Work from anywhere in the U.S. with flexible hours
- Report to the co-founder of Widespread Care, who believes you deserve to thrive in this role
- Collaborate daily with teammates, advisors, partners, and caregivers who believe a better future is possible
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision
- 401k with 3% employer match
- Basic life insurance, AD&D, STD, and LTD
- 4 weeks of paid vacation, 11 paid holidays, and 4 floating holidays
- 12 days of paid sick leave
Community Initiatives is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
To apply, please submit your CV and a note about why you are applying. If available, attach an example work product or include a link to your portfolio. Interviews will be scheduled on a rolling basis. We look forward to hearing from you!