AdoptUSKids is a national project that promotes adoption from foster care, connects families with children and youth seeking permanency, and supports child welfare systems across the United States. Based in Seattle at Northwest Resource Associates, the AdoptUSKids digital media team builds and maintains award-winning websites and applications to support this project’s life-changing work.
We are looking for a content strategist to join our team and lead content creation, editing, and publishing across all channels. You will have the opportunity to work with the digital team and six partner teams located around country to educate and inspire more people to adopt from foster care. In this position, every day offers opportunities for creativity and connection—from interviewing a family or a caseworker, to posting our most recent television ads on YouTube, to editing a presentation or tip sheet, to deploying an email newsletter. No day is quite the same.
It is an exciting time at AdoptUSKids. We are ready to take our content strategy to the next level and we need a creative leader and an exceptional writer to supercharge our work. We hope that’s you!
Northwest Resource Associates is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from alumni of foster care and qualified individuals of every ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
You should be excited to apply if
- You’re a people person! You love talking to people from all walks of life and learning about their experiences.
- You’re deeply committed to racial equity and inclusion and you like your work to reflect the diversity of society.
- You value collaboration and take a customer-service approach to your work.
- You’re a highly skilled editor.
- You love writing and storytelling.
- You’re a fan of social media and enjoy finding new ways to engage people on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- You’re a self-starter that enjoys working independently as well as working with others to help them achieve their goals.
- You’re organized and you like to juggle multiple projects at once.
- You’d enjoy being part of a cross-functional team that includes a visual and interaction designer, UX strategist, technical support manager, and senior software engineer.
- You enjoy learning from others and sharing your own ideas and expertise, so that everyone is always improving and growing.
- Lead all digital content strategy decisions
- Edit all communications material for clarity, consistency, and adherence to Chicago Manual of Style
- Champion our brand voice across all channels
- Plan and create content to post on the AdoptUSKids websites, including adoptuskids.org, blog.adoptuskids.org, and professionals.adoptuskids.org
- Create and deploy emails, including monthly newsletters for professional and family audiences
- Create and post content on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube at regular intervals
- Interview families, youth, social workers, and national child welfare leaders and write articles inspired by those interviews
- Collaborate with our partners on the creation and editing of communications materials for professionals
- Hire and manage freelance writers as needed
- Exceptional writing and editing skills required
- Ability to collaborate with others, accept feedback, and be flexible
- Willingness to work under tight deadlines and respond to urgent requests
- Experience with content management systems required
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement
- Understanding of equity and inclusion principles and the importance of disrupting systemic racism and unconscious bias
- An understanding of plain language writing
- Experience writing for software applications
- Experience building and deploying emails
- Familiarity with Agile, WordPress, MailChimp, Trello, Google Suite, HTML/CSS
- Non-profit or child welfare experience
Why you’ll love working here
Puget Sound area preferred, but not required. We typically have a hybrid work schedule, splitting our time between the office, which is in downtown Seattle, and home. We are currently working fully remote. Plans for returning to the hybrid work schedule have yet to be determined.
Salary and benefits
We offer flexible work schedules and 3.5 to 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, in addition to 15 to 16 paid holidays per year, paid sick leave, a generous family leave policy, a retirement plan, an optional 403b plan, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, disability insurance, long-term care insurance, and commuter benefits.
Send us a cover letter describing why you might be a fit for the position and your resume to. We will accept applications until the position is filled, but we will prioritize applications that come in on or before Dec 10. After Dec 10, we will prioritize applications that come in by December 17, December 24, and so on. *Proof of vaccination against COVID-19 is required for employment.