Certification Consultant, Green Business Network
Title: Certification Consultant
Reports to: Green Business Network Director (GBN)
Timeframe: 1-year renewable consultancy; monthly retainer (12-16 hours per week)
Location: Tele-commuting; US-based
Compensation: $1600/month; Green America will provide a 1099.
Green America, founded in 1982, is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to creating a socially just and environmentally sustainable society by harnessing economic power – the strength of consumers, investors, businesses, and the marketplace. Green America’s Green Business Network is a national network of small to mid-sized companies with deep commitments to ensuring their business products or services support an economy that works for people and the planet.
We seek a part-time certification manager to evaluate applications for our Green Business Network Seal that affirms that businesses’ operations uphold social and environmental standards across a range of industries.
- Implement the Green Business Certification program of Green America’s Green Business Network (GBN) utilizing GBN standards developed at the basic and gold levels. The process may include: responding to applicants within two weeks of the receipt of the application; reviewing a written application; clarifying any ambiguities; reviewing company websites; asking additional questions; interviewing company contacts; contacting allied organizations for feedback as needed; and working with the Green America Standards Committee and other Green America staff experts particularly for gold-level certifications. For businesses that do not meet our standards, the certification manager will identify and communicate the changes needed to be certified.
- Record and save written documentation on each certification so there is a permanent record of each application, whether approved or unapproved.
- Track the number of certifications and their status; provide other updates as needed.
- Communicate with applicants on the final status of their applications.
- Join the GBN staff team meeting each month to stay informed of developments and share updates.
- Respond to inquiries from businesses and the public.
- Work with the Standards & Certification Committee on gold-level certifications; convene calls and meetings as needed; and ensure that Committee members vote on these applications in a timely manner (within 2 weeks of the Committee’s receipt of materials).
- Identify and document improvements needed in the certification standards, assessments questionnaires, and online formatting of the assessments to expedite the certification process and interactions with businesses.
- As time permits, assist with communications to un-certified GBN members to promote certification and answer their questions about the process.
- Communicate with other certification programs when appropriate.
- Lead GBN's updates of the certification standards. Conduct stakeholder consultations as necessary to capture relevant feedback.
- Update the Certification “How To” Manual as needed.
- Maintain and update GBN certification assessments (in survey monkey) as needed.
- Maintain GBN's standard operating procedures to ensure that they reflect the most current processes.
- Create and identify helpful resources and tools to assist businesses in understanding and meeting certification requirements.
- Knowledge of social and environmental sustainability issues as they relate to small to mid-sized U.S. businesses.
- Strong familiarity with the green marketplace and business impacts across a wide range of industry sectors.
- Understanding of the business certification field and the similarities and differences of major certifications.
- Strong research skills.
- Diplomatic communication skills.
- Ability to use online platforms with ease.
- Patience and a sense of humor.
- Ability to work independently.
- Highly organized, able to track and organize applications efficiently.
- B.A. or equivalent experience.
- Commitment to the goals of green America.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to.
Green America is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without discrimination regarding: actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions, breastfeeding, or reproductive health disorders), age (18 years of age or older), marital status (including domestic partnership and parenthood), personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, genetic information, disability, matriculation, political affiliation, citizenship status, credit information or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. Harassment on the basis of a protected characteristic is included as a form of discrimination and is strictly prohibited.