Technical Director Of Product
Overview & Benefits
Students are at the core of Bottom Line. Every day, we are energized by their drive, potential, and passion. We know that the success of our students will create a ripple effect in our communities.
Bottom Line is bridging the divide of educational inequity by providing a trusted advisor and the social capital necessary for our students to earn their bachelor’s degree, build financial stability, and successfully launch thriving careers. We primarily focus on students of color who will be in the first generation of their family to earn a college degree, are from low-income backgrounds, and are academically prepared for college.
For more than two decades, Bottom Line has been fighting for educational equity by ensuring that the right to a quality college education is accessible to those whose potential and drive exceed their opportunity. For first-generation degree-aspiring students from low-income backgrounds who face systemic barriers, Bottom Line’s advisors are a relentless ally who partner with them to find the right college, persist to a degree, and successfully launch a career.
As one of the first college support organizations to focus on college completion, Bottom Line now produces best-in-class college graduation rates that reduce the significant gap between first-generation students from low-income backgrounds and their wealthier peers. We operate regional programs in Massachusetts, New York City, and Chicago that collectively serve over 7,000 students.
When you join Bottom Line, you will find an organization that lives into its core values. We are committed to building strong, impactful relationships with our students, co-workers, schools, community partners, donors, and other supporters. We are engaging, responsive, caring, direct, honest, solutions-oriented, and we always follow through on our promises. We act with empathy and extend grace to ourselves and each other. We pursue ambitious goals, hold ourselves to high standards, make data-informed decisions, and orient to long-term success for our students and our organization. We operate with curiosity, evolve thoughtfully, take informed risks, and learn from successes, setbacks, and each other. Experts in our field, we are driven by our mission and motivated by the impact we’re achieving.
At Bottom Line, we have a strong commitment to. We aim to attract diverse candidate pools who hold these same values, and are ready to help us along our journey toward greater equity and inclusion.
For more information about who we are, please review ourand .
Position Summary: The Technical Director of Product is responsible for managing a variety of Commercial Off-the-Shelf (COTS) Low-Code Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products on the Technology and Data team. This includes driving day to day execution and delivery with constant re-prioritization and adjustments being made along the way as well as leading, managing and coordinating the development and deployment of new web applications and/or components of existing web applications, including but not limited to solutions focused on, student case management, volunteer and mentor engagement, virtual assistance for advisor service planning, and a variety of collaboration tools for students and staff. The Director will report to the Chief Technology and Data Officer (CTDO).
In this role, the Technical Director will own the vision and strategy for products on behalf of Bottom Line’s Program teams, define the product roadmap, and deliver clear requirements that will be used to bring the product to life. The right candidate will conduct research - both internally and externally when necessary – monitor and respond to feedback and metrics, and continuously drive improvements to the product based on feedback. The incumbent will possess strong technical background or experience working with technical solutions, that often require developing user stories and/or requirements to seed the design and/or customization of modular and scalable User Interface (UI) components across various Software-as-a-Service (Saas) and Low-Code Applications (LCAP). The role requires an individual who has experience leading large cross-organizational software development or software customization projects and has a well-rounded technical background in (or has worked with) current web and mobile technologies.
In addition to serving as subject matter expert and primary personnel in product development and management, the Technical Director of Product will take requirements and/or user stories they have developed, prioritize them, and carry out work to implement these requirements in the system – in some cases, the role may require leading and managing consultants on the implementation of the solution. The Director will facilitate the overall development and support of all web and mobile-based technology solutions within the purview / ecosystem of the Technology and Data team.
This role requires a thirst for continuous learning, commitment to action-oriented analysis, a can-do attitude, and a relentless focus on cultivating relationships with individuals within the organization who may later become partners. A true product owner who can be counted on to make business, technical and strategy decisions along with running day to day execution. The right candidate will thrive in a high-functioning, high producing, fast-changing, and collaborative environment. This is a highly visible and strategic role that requires a proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships, maintain high support standards, and have excellent process and technology knowledge.
Key Relationships: Work collaboratively with other Bottom Line business units such as Program Design, Human Resources, as well as leads from Data, Programs, and Fundraising/Development, to bring any one product feature from concept to reality. Acts as the conduit with various business units across groups to ideate on workflows, and development of the final product. Oversees product enhancements and new deployments across a variety of SaaS and LCAP platforms such as: Salesforce, Power BI, Graduaway, Mainstay, and a variety of other emerging/innovative technologies.
Primary Responsibilities (95%):
- Direct and lead the end-to-end process for product development, from requirement gathering sessions with business leads or Subject Matter Experts (SMEs), to development, testing and release of new features, support operations and defect resolution for released feature sets, across a variety of Saas and/or LCAP platforms.
- Work closely with a variety of end user stakeholders to build and maintain expertise on how they use these products to derive analytics from them and drive intelligent business decisions. Collect feedback, priorities, and ideas from this group and translate these into future product requirements and development plans. Analyze changes to systems that are often complex, interrelated, and cut across multiple platforms, to fulfill complicated requirements, improve performance and increase product usage.
- Closely partner with business users to conduct User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and sign off on successful implementations of features.
- Use JIRA to create and successfully translate business requirements and their acceptance criteria, as well as manage backlog of requirements prior to development of the product’s features and functionalities.
- Develop functional design specifications, user guides, training materials and other product documentations required for new application features.
- Leverage Agile principles to refine business requirements, define what changes to the system interfaces and data flows should occur, prioritizes work needed in digestible format and either develop changes or oversee the development of changes.
- Ensure requirements are fully understood and product development matches expectations while consistently driving product strategy, roadmap, and release plans.
- Serve as a Subject Matter Expert across a variety of technical products and provide complete oversight on operational activities related to business continuity and resiliency, as well problem and incident management activities- note: this role requires that the incumbent participate in major incident response efforts, occasionally requiring after-hours and weekend work.
- Work with business partners to balance business and technical objectives and technology partners to deliver the product that meets reliability, scalability, and performance goals - note: in most cases this role will implement product changes if there are no technology partners on staff or hired to do the work.
- Conduct research to identify innovative upgrades required for existing products and new product solutions that should be brought into the Bottom Line enterprise/suite of technologies.
- Develop, track and maintain the management and execution of quarterly product Key Performance Indicators (KPIs).
- Acts as a catalyst for change to improve systems and processes that benefit the technology and data team as well as the larger Bottom Line organization.
- Represent the Bottom Line brand in a positive light, and take actions to increase brand awareness throughout the community.
- Maintain a “students first” perspective, actively building connections with colleagues across functions to build understanding of each other’s work, and more importantly, serve as the best possible advocate for our students and mission.
- Work collaboratively with others on the National Team and with regional teams on shared projects, committees, and other opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree and 6+ years of experience in a product management and/or ownership role, delivering high-quality products that have required the following: functional requirement writing, data analysis, key performance indicators development and management, new product and/or feature launches, product operations management - such as facilitating user testing – and product roadmap development
- Knowledge of technical capabilities and updates required across LCAP and SaaS applications including configuration changes on the user interface, implementing and/or managing authorization processes, and reporting.
- At least 4 years of prior experience working as part of collaborative, multi-disciplinary team to deliver mobile and web-based products and services on time and on budget
- Strong analytical, verbal and written communication capabilities, including an ability to work effectively on shared projects with various stakeholders that may span across multiple internal and external vendor teams
- Demonstrated experience wrangling complex product development lifecycles and schedules, in a multi-tasked, fast-paced, and changing environment, from ideation through to go-live
- Strong attention to detail, including the ability to interpret and explain complex systems and ideas, as well lead, drive consensus, and deliver in an early-stage transformative organization with multiple stakeholders
- Experience working in a data-driven and process-driven organization to conceptualize, manage, and prioritize multiple projects solely related to technical products.
- Ability to function independently while maintaining clear communication lines with multiple levels – both junior and senior management – within an organization
- Demonstrated experience researching and troubleshooting product issues and presenting ideas in language that can be consumed by a variety of end-users
- Demonstrated commitment to Bottom Line’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values
- Demonstrated proficiency and/or growth potential in Bottom Line's seven core competencies: Relationships, Results, Communication, Inclusiveness, Talent Development, Agility, and Planning
- Work authorization required
- **The Director participates in major incident response efforts, occasionally requiring after-hours and weekend work.**
- **As of Nov. 22, 2021, employees will need proof that they are fully vaccinated against covid-19.**
- Working knowledge of with tools such as JIRA and SQL are a bonus.
- Agile enthusiast with a disposition towards remediating issues quickly.
- Experience managing multiple Commerical-off-the-Shelf SaaS and LCAP applications such as Graduaway, Mainstay, Power BI and Salesforce.
- Functional and/or technical thinker who is comfortable with ambiguity and can get in the weeds of technical products to understand their technologies to help drive clarity and product decisions.
- Relationships: Identifies opportunities and takes action to build and maintain meaningful and collaborative connections with various stakeholders
- Results: Produces quality outcomes; compiles and analyzes data to drive future plans; uses creative solutions
- Communication: Effectively articulates information in a clear, concise, and timely manner to a wide range of stakeholders
- Inclusiveness: Creates and maintains an environment that respects and values the identities and cultures of all colleagues and students we serve
- Talent Development: Actively contributes to the hiring, development, retention, and promotion of a highly effective team
- Agility: Demonstrates adaptability and openness to shifting priorities, needs of stakeholders, and organizational changes
- Planning: Effectively and efficiently uses resources (people, time, materials, technology) in order to create, meet, and assess both strategic and task-oriented goals
Share on your newsfeed