Special Education Attorney
Under the supervision of the Director of Litigation, the attorney’s responsibilities will include:
• Representing clients in mediations, due process hearings, and appeals; includes but is not limited to legal research, drafting correspondence and pleadings, witness interviews and preparation, and preparation and conduct of administrative hearings;
• Supervise and work well with co-counsel, law clerks, and volunteers in remote/virtual work environment;
• Active participation in special education and related local, state and national taskforces and workgroups to advance the educational rights of children with disabilities;
• Conduct training and outreach on special education to parents, student groups, attorneys, and others;
• Some travel required; and
• Other duties as assigned.
· Applicant must have at least two years of experience as a special education attorney, able to manage and supervise multiple cases effectively;
· Active member in good standing of the California Bar or eligible to practice as a registered legal aid attorney pursuant to Cal. Rule of Court 964 with the intention of taking the California Bar within one year of employment;
· Superior academic credentials; and
· Team player with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Additional Desirable Criteria:
· Personal and/or family experience with disability;
· Fluency in Spanish, American Sign Language, or other languages;
· Experience in education and/or foster care system; and
· High emotional intelligence and problem-solving abilities.