Director Of Development
Every minute of every day, Ability Beyond helps to break down barriers and create new paths for the people we serve in CT and NY. For over 60 years, our programs empower individuals, no matter their ability, to live with independence, work with dignity and thrive in their communities. It is through our innovative community job training and placement, supported living, and recreational and educational opportunities that we are able to help the people we serve to live full and rewarding lives. Our organization spreads this mission through several counties including: Westchester, Putnam, Dutchess, Fairfield, Hartford, and New Haven.
We are currently seeking a Director of Development to lead Ability Beyond’s continued success in the community. The Director will be an entrepreneurial, enthusiastic leader of the Development Team, planning and implementing annual fundraising strategies that further the mission and objectives of Ability Beyond. Working with the Vice President, the Director is responsible for continuously increasing funds and resources for the organization, promoting goodwill in the community and among development volunteers and fostering the growth and development of the development staff. The Director will primarily be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the Department and long-term strategy implementation.
We invite you to be part of an organization that is making a true difference in society by enriching the lives of people with disabilities. Help us to discover, build and celebrate the ability in all people. There is no limit to the accomplishments we can achieve together!
- Set annual goals for all fund-raising activities and develop an Annual Plan designed to reach these goals.
- Prepare an annual budget for Development, balancing revenue with an appropriate level of expenses.
- Engage the volunteer Board of Trustees/Development Committee in fundraising and cultivation.
- Manage quarterly meeting agendas, presentations and volunteer activities.
- Oversee the Development Department technology stack and play a key role in designing donor journeys.
- Develop and implement an annual plan to achieve desired goals (including financial targets, utilizing existing and emerging fundraising approaches).
- Manage a portfolio of foundation, corporate and government contacts, donors and grant makers.
- Provide monthly activity reports, and strive to achieve year over year growth in annual giving.
- Develop an annual plan for fundraising events that meet strategic objectives and financial goals.
- Oversee contracted event staff, volunteers, and team to plan and execute three annual signature events: the Annual Gala, Autumn Breakfast and Golf & Tennis Tournament.
- Develop an annual plan for cultivating family members to develop stronger relationships with the agency, continued engagement and family giving.
- Identify and implement planned giving strategies to build the organization’s endowment.
- Oversee the training, growth and development of the development staff. Work with staff to develop annual performance and activity goals, providing feedback consistently and through annual performance reviews.
- Act as a leader and mentor for all employees of the organization, participating in management initiatives.
- Identify and develop initiatives/proposals that support organizational objectives, programs and services for all corporate, foundation, municipal and appropriate federal grant prospects.
- Maintain and grow relationships with corporate and foundation donors and prospects, including timelines for solicitation, fields of interests, Board contacts, etc. and submission of reports.
- Pro-actively develop prospect identification, cultivation and recognition strategies with the Vice President.
- Participate actively in networking opportunities and outreach to build community awareness, and to develop and cultivate professional relationships to benefit Ability Beyond.
- BA/BS degree or relevant comparable experience.
- Minimum of five to seven years working in the not-for-profit sector and experience managing staff is preferred.
- Professional experience that demonstrates ability to think out of the box, plan, implement and follow-through on successful fundraising projects desired.
- Computer literacy and knowledge of traditional, digital and emerging fundraising methods required.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Teams, Raiser’s Edge NXT preferred.
- Campaign experience a plus.