Program and Development Coordinator
MADRE is an international feminist fund and women's human rights organization that partners with community-based women's and girls’ groups worldwide facing war, disaster, climate breakdown and their aftermath. MADRE works towards a world in which all people enjoy the fullest range of individual and collective human rights; resources are shared equitably and sustainably; women and girls participate effectively in all aspects of society; and people have a meaningful say in decisions that affect their lives.
An integral member of the Development Team, and reporting to the Associate Director of Institutional Giving, the Program and Development Coordinator (the Coordinator) is responsible for supporting MADRE’s institutional fundraising efforts, while helping to grow MADRE’s pipeline of institutional donors, including foundation, corporate, government, and multilateral organizations. The Coordinator will serve as a primary grant and report writer and liaison between MADRE’s Development Team and Program Teams in order to synthesize programmatic developments and compile, analyze, and report on MADRE’s impact to funders. They will develop compelling proposals and reports for impact using a logical framework, solicit viable prospects, and implement fundraising strategies designed to achieve revenue targets during a time of organizational growth.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
● Assist the Associate Director of Institutional Giving and Program and Development Manager, as well as the Executive Director and Senior Leadership, to execute an annual institutional cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategy, and achieve institutional support, through written proposals, reports, and program updates.
● Plan for and write compelling letters of inquiry, concept notes, grant proposals, and high-impact interim and annual program reports and updates to institutional funders and prospects; collaborate with the Program and Development Associate to organize and complete supplemental material requests, such as project budgets.
● Work across teams to analyze and capture MADRE’s impact for funders.
● Develop strong monitoring, learning, and evaluation plans and language within proposals and reports; pull monitoring and evaluation (M&E) data for reporting and conduct follow-up meetings with staff and/or partners, as appropriate.
● Work with the Finance Team to ensure all financial reports to funders are submitted on time.
● Understand MADRE’s mission, programs, and strategic goals.
● Perform other relevant tasks as assigned.
Key Qualifications and Experience:
● Commitment to women’s, girls’, and LGBTIQ human rights and MADRE’s mission.
● Bachelor's Degree required and Master’s Degree or equivalent preferred in relevant fields/themes, such as: human rights; women or gender studies; international development/affairs; environment; political science, policy and/or history.
● Minimum three years related non-profit experience, preferably in grant writing/reporting.
● Demonstrated commitment to excellence and high standards, including meticulous attention to detail and proofreading ability, excellent writing/editing skills, and oral/written communication skills; exceptional time management and organization skills.
● Strong analytical capacity; ability to understand and synthesize quantitative and qualitative program data.
● Comfort with and ability to manage up; solutions-oriented, with a strong ability to track and report on progress with limited supervision and assume significant project management responsibility.
● Strong initiative, reliability as well as ownership of and accountability toward one’s work and team; holds self accountable for making decisions, managing their work plan, and achieving fundraising goals.
● Excels at working both independently and as part of a team to complete deliverables and work toward deadlines.
● Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with individuals with diverse personalities and styles, and at different levels of seniority.
● Ability to work and multi-task well under pressure (from managing multiple external deadlines to emergency fundraising during crisis), as well as organize work to effectively balance multiple assignments, set priorities, and meet strict deadlines.
● Sets ambitious and challenging goals; takes responsibility for their own professional development and seizes opportunities within MADRE to advance this development.
● Excellent Microsoft Office skills required; knowledge of Salesforce or M&E databases (e.g. LogAlto) a plus.
Language Ability: Fluency in English required. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, requests for proposals (RFPs) or governmental regulations, among other sources, in English. Ability to write proposals, reports and business correspondence in English. Proficiency in French, Spanish or Arabic in addition to English a plus for reading and analyzing program data from partners, when necessary.
Location: While this job may be remote anywhere inside the US, it will require occasional in-person meetings at MADRE’s headquarters in New York City. Must be able to provide proof of authorization to work in the U.S.
To apply, submit a cover letter, resume, two writing samples (professional or scholarly, preferably development or grant-oriented) and two references toinclude “Program and Development Coordinator'' in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. References will not be contacted without permission.
Salary is $70,000.
MADRE is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices based on a person's race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, age, ability, and other status, and in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool. We appreciate all applicants, but please be advised that our capacity allows us to only respond to those candidates best qualified for the position.