Remote In Nys: Media Strategist
Thank you for your interest in working for Citizen Action of New York! We’re excited to hear from you and to get to know you through this process. The Media Strategist will join a growing team of passionate, dedicated communications staff and interact with staff across the organization to drive a grassroots, leadership-development organizing strategy to build the power to win in communities across New York.
A little about us…
We are a statewide grassroots membership organization that fights for social, racial, economic, and environmental justice. We organize in communities to build power. We collaborate with organizations and coalitions in communities across New York to win on key issues and elect progressive candidates at the local, state and federal levels. Our member-driven organizing campaigns focus on issues at the state, local, and federal level, including ending mass incarceration, public education funding, housing, health care, money in politics and taxing the rich. We play a leadership role in organizing major statewide coalitions and campaigns fighting for bold policy changes.
We’re looking to add to our team an experienced Media Strategist REMOTE in NYS. This position will be reporting to the Deputy Communications Director.
This dynamic, fast-paced role takes an individual dedicated to high quality work ethic and a desire to help others while furthering the movement. Success will take skills such as strong prioritization ability, organization skills with perseverance, and a solutions-oriented approach to the work.
Citizen Action of New York takes pride in hiring staff who share our values & characteristics.
- Commitment to Citizen Action’s mission and vision and passionate about issues of social, racial, economic and environmental justice
- Ability to think strategically and creatively to solve problems
- A high degree of professionalism and professional maturity
- Collaborative work style and demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and with people from a variety of different backgrounds
- Carry out an effective media strategy that builds a narrative around our issue campaigns, events and direct actions, policy proposals and advocacy;
- Write high-quality, impactful copy for press outreach materials, opinion pieces, statements, blog posts and fact-sheets;
- Identify opportunities to advance the organization’s narrative and advocacy campaigns in state, national and local media;
- Work with cross-organizational teams and state and national coalition partners to develop joint media strategies. Maintain relationships with communications staff of coalitions and partners;
- Develop and manage our database of national, state and local reporters;
- Build relationships with reporters and develop thought-leadership around our issues;
- 3+ years of directly relevant experience with developing and managing strategic communications and media relations
- Commitment to progressive change, movement-building, and working in a multi-racial, multi-cultural environment
- Demonstrated experience managing media relations and press outreach for a nonprofit, business, political candidate, or similar—or experience creating content that resonates and engages a large audience
- Excellent writing and copy editing skills and the ability to write high-quality content quickly
- Ability to manage a multitude of tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Ability and willingness to fully adopt use of tools used by the organizations.
- Have an understanding that this is a marathon not a race! This role needs to be filled by someone who has the ability to work evenings and weekends, and still prioritize self care and leaning in to open communication with the team.
- Familiarity with the following tools: CRMs (ActionNetwork, EveryAction/VAN), digital advocacy, story collection, Google Suite applications (mail, calendar), Asana, Slack.
- Knowledge of local, federal, and/or New York State politics.
- Working collaboratively in an organization at the forefront of building power across NYS
- Competitive salary
- 100% paid employee monthly medical and vision premiums
- Access to comprehensive mental health and dental plans
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
- 12 organization-paid holidays, generous vacation
- Biannual statewide staff meetings
- Supporting remote work for eligible employees
Salary: The salary range for this position is $50,000-$62,500 depending on experience. NYC positions are eligible for up to a 10% pay differential
Please note, all benefits are subject to change.
Citizen Action of New York is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the most passionate people who want to join our team. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Applicants may be entitled to reasonable accommodations under the terms of the ADA and state/local laws. Please let us know if you need assistance participating in the interview process.