Job Title: Conference Coordinator
Location: Remote or Ashburn, VA. The hiring manager for this position work remotely.
Salary Range: $43,378-51,033
The National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA) is the leading not-for-profit organization dedicated to building strong, vibrant, and resilient communities through the power of parks and recreation. With more than 60,000 members, NRPA advances this mission by investing in and championing the work of park and recreation professionals and advocates — the catalysts for positive change in service of equity, climate-readiness, and overall health and well-being. For more information, visit. For digital access to NRPA’s flagship publication, Parks & Recreation, visit .
NRPA is currently seeking a CONFERENCE COORDINATOR to join our CONFERENCE DEPARTMENT.
The Conference Coordinator works to advance NRPA’s mission and vision by providing support to the conference team in relation to logistical planning, reporting, onsite coordination and other projects as needed. This entry level position requires a strong work ethic, positive attitude, flexibility and strong multi-tasking skills, while delivering consistently good services to clients and staff.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Manage and expand the NRPA business travel program for staff, speakers, and attendees
· Provide customer service to member inquiries year round
· Logistical planning support for meetings and events at the HQ office to include room sets, supplies, F&B, and local transportation
· Review and maintain planning documents related to event logistics (i.e., RFPs, event schedules and resumes)
· Maintain calendar of vendor deposit deadlines and submit for payment in Anybill
· Administrative support for the Conference Team
· Complete additional projects as needed
Annual Conference Responsibilities and Duties:
· Coordinate attendee materials and resources with local tourism and convention bureaus
· Monitor the conference website content and provide updates to communications team as needed
· Manage the production and proofing process of conference signage with general service contractor and handle onsite inventory and placement of sign orders; meet with internal departments to assess onsite conference sign needs
· Provide customer service to conference attendees and volunteers via emails and phone calls
· Assist with conference registration system set-up and testing
· Assist with collecting and summarizing bids from suppliers and vendors
· Provide special event planning support as needed
· Track with sponsorship logistics and fulfillment
· Help coordinate member area logistics and member giveaways
· Provide event details for marketing and communication promotions, materials and resources
· Collect internal volunteer needs and set-up the volunteer registration system; manage general conference volunteers pre-conference and on-site
· Oversee arrangements for conference shipments
· Order conference supplies as needed
· Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Hospitality or Event Management, or the equivalent of 2 years professional experience in administration, customer service, logistical planning, volunteer or event support
· CMP education hours earned and/or knowledge of event planning policies, procedures, and basic best practices
· Highly organized, adaptable and strong multi-tasking and time management skills required
· Strong verbal and written communication for understanding event requirements and explaining these needs to colleagues and third party vendors
· Attention to detail to ensure all specifications are met
· Problem-solving abilities to correct any challenges or inefficiencies for the best results
· Experience with Office 365 and Microsoft Office Suites
· Ability and willingness to travel up to 15% of the year
Candidate Work Style
· Excels in a dynamic, fast-paced work environment
· Self-directed and detail-oriented with a collaborative and professional team spirit to contribute to a collegial, team-oriented environment
· Willing to travel up to 30 days per year outside of the Washington Metropolitan Area or your remote work location. Remote workers must visit NRPA Headquarters periodically including attendance at the NRPA annual conference.
Required Materials and Application Process: Applicants without the following required materials may not be considered for this position:
· Cover Letter detailing your background and description how your experience and education would make you a successful candidate for this position (limit 2 pages).
Applicants will first be evaluated on the completeness and qualifications of application materials. Qualified applicants will then be invited for a phone screen and selected applicants will be invited to a Zoom interview. Finalists will be required to submit references for a reference and background check.
Who May Apply: This position is open to all qualified applicants.
NRPA values diversity, equity and inclusion and we are committed to integrating these core values more deeply into all elements of our daily work. NRPA is an equal opportunity employer and highly encourages people of all backgrounds to apply, including people of color, ethnic minorities, new Americans (immigrants and refugees), LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, native people, and veterans.
Discover the Benefits at NRPA!
NRPA has been named a Top Workplace by The Washington Post every year since 2014. To promote healthy lifestyles, at work and away, we have established programs like Teleworking, FlexTime Schedules, 37.5-hour workweek, Employee Assistance Programs, Educational Assistance Programs, Lunch-and-Learn sessions, and more. NRPA also offers a competitive Heath benefits package, generous PTO program where employees accrue 26 days of paid time per year, parental leave, and retirement and savings benefits.