Full-stack Wordpress Developer 🔥
Constructive, a leading brand experience design & digital design agency that works exclusively with social impact organizations, is looking for an outstanding software enthusiast who will help us craft performant and meaningful web experiences to help better the world we live in.
If you are a WordPress developer who excels at translating sophisticated UX and design into exceptional interaction design, are hungry to collaborate in close-knit teams of senior strategic and creative experts to push boundaries, and believe that the best digital experiences happen when strategy, technology, and design work together, then we’d love to hear from you.
And if you care deeply about the mark on the world you leave and share our deep commitment to using strategic, creative, and technical expertise to make a positive impact on issues like climate change, education, and social justice, then we think you’d love working with us and our clients.
A bit about us:
Constructive is a boutique brand experience design firm that specializes in digital. For 20 years, we’ve partnered with leading organizations at the forefront of social change to develop brand strategy and designed experiences that help make progress towards overcoming the world’s most important challenges.
We’re looking for a creative, flexible thinker who has a proven track record of success leading web development on projects that demand a high degree of creative and technical complexity. Take a look at what will be expected from you, and what you’ll get in return.
A bit about the role:
As a Full-Stack WordPress Developer at Constructive, you will take the lead on developing a myriad of technical solutions to help create compelling brand experiences for our network of passionate clients. Working alongside our energetic technology team, you will create content management systems, data visualizations, single-page applications, automation scripts and everything in between. Additionally, you will commonly integrate with third-party systems to extend our reach of feature offerings, as well as work on a collection of innovative internal projects.
No matter the task, the end goal is the same: create powerful software to empower our clients to have a larger impact on the world we share. Therefore, you should really know your stuff and have a strong sense of responsibility for the quality of your work and the overall success of the company. We’re not looking for solitary “rock stars”; we want someone who loves collaborating and creating meaningful products alongside other passionate do-ers who care as much as you do.
What we need you to do extremely well:
This role is all about hands-on development and sharing your perspective on approaches and techniques learned throughout your career. We’ll need you to have strong demonstrated success having done all or most of these things for at least 4 to 5 years — and a passion for doing them well the whole way through.
- Have professional experience executing full-stack WordPress Web Development from start to finish. You should be comfortable with the inner workings of the platform and its hooks, including creating custom plugins and themes, exposing APIs via WP-JSON, building and working with Gutenberg blocks, and fine-tuning the platform to achieve high marks in areas of performance, security, and accessibility.
- Have a thorough knowledge of software development best practices and methodologies. Understanding PHP outside the lens of the WordPress ecosystem will put you at the top of our applicant list. If you’re familiar with O.O.P. or have worked with the Laravel framework, you’ll understand what we’re looking for. After all, we’re not just about delivering high quality products; we love building, improving on, and deploying scalable, resilient architecture; that’s what being a software developer is all about after all!
- Be a great team player, have a bias towards listening, take serious pride in your work, and always look for our process and results to be better the next time out. When you have high integrity for your work and the success of the product and your teammates, you will be rewarded with the satisfaction of a cohesive team that’s got your back in the same ways. Most importantly, you consider yourself a perpetual student of your craft. We recognize imposter syndrome can be anxiety-inducing, but we channel it as a positive means of learning and getting better at what we do every day.
- At least 4-5 years of custom WordPress development experience, with a concentration on back-end development
- Deep understanding of custom theme development and plugin development
- Strong experience integrating with third-party technologies (Salesforce, Mailchimp, etc.) using existing or new APIs
- Excellent understanding and development with frontend JS and CSS frameworks (e.g. Tailwind, Alpine, React), and adaptive, responsive, and cross-browser web development
- Proven experience in delivering pixel-perfect designs that are highly interactive and dynamic
- Excellent grasp of development workflows essential to the modern developer, such as git and command-line tooling
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Process-Minded & Detail-Oriented: you sweat the small stuff as it pertains to your and the agency’s growth
- Strong experience with content migrations from existing websites, such as migrating data from one CMS to another and working with database schemas
- Experience building design systems: component libraries, reusable front end patterns, etc.
- Experience with Data Visualization (D3, Highcharts)
- Experience with Infrastructure, System Administration & DevOps. Likewise, familiarity with hosting solutions such as Pantheon, WP Engine, Heroku, or AWS
- Experience using best-in-class WordPress and PHP softwares such as Sage, Extended ACF & CPT, and popular Composer libraries
- Experience with accessibility, such as WCAG compliance requirements
- A sense of high-leverage performance optimizations across the application stack, such as image optimization techniques
- A good sense of humor 🙂
- Company-Sponsored Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- 401K plan with 4% company match
- Quarterly profit sharing bonus
- Discretionary performance-based bonuses
- 2 weeks paid vacation (+1 additional day per year)
- Paid vacation between Christmas & New Year’s
- 1/2-day Summer Fridays (Approx 16)
- 1 week paid personal/sick days
- $1500 annual professional development stipend
- New client bonus (2.5% of largest contract in year 1 for any non-inbound client)
- The feeling of satisfaction knowing that your work is helping make the world a better place
- A resume
- A cover letter telling us a bit about you and what excites you about joining our team
- Links to your own website, websites you’ve worked on, GitHub, etc…
- Desired salary