Community Engagement Specialist
Are you outgoing, mission-driven, and looking to gain experience as a community organizer? Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts has the employment opportunity for you! In this full-time, entry-level, hybrid Community Engagement Specialist role, you are responsible for building community and advancing awareness of Girl Scouts to recruit new families to Girl Scouts.
Reporting to the Director of Community Engagement, the Community Engagement Specialist is responsible for developing and executing outreach/recruitment strategies, in Lawrence, Bradford, Haverhill, Revere, Saugus, Methuen, Chelsea, Everett, Malden, Lynn, Winthrop with supports in parts of Suffolk, Essex, and Middlesex County- where more barriers to participation may exist - by expanding the reach of the Girl Scout Leadership Experience to girls within these identified communities.
The Community Engagement Specialist is self-motivated and has a results-driven, sales-oriented approach to execute effective lead generation, lead nurturing, and recruitment strategies. This position is responsible for increasing participation and accessibility in Girl Scouts for the above-mentioned communities with the goal of recruiting and organizing new volunteer-led and/or staff-led Girl Scout troops. Training is provided.
- Utilize knowledge of social media platforms to develop online marketing campaigns to effectively promote recruitment events and council initiatives. Create and facilitate online LIVE recruitment campaigns through use of social media platforms or video conferencing technologies.
- Design and implement a comprehensive plan for new girl and adult membership growth in focus areas by researching market data membership trends, and other pertinent information.
- Promote Girl Scouts to girls, families, volunteers and cultivate relationships with appropriate community leaders, organizations, and businesses to support recruitment efforts within focus areas, to positively impact membership growth and retention.
- Collect and cultivate leads through emails, social media posts, phone calls and in-person events.
- Leverage sales techniques to reach membership goals.
- Create membership campaigns; facilitate and attend recruitment events within and outside of region to sell Girl Scouting opportunities year-round.
- Work with cross-functional team and with volunteers to determine or develop innovative techniques to ensure the effective delivery of recruitment strategies and logistics.
- Develop and cultivate partnerships with community youth-serving organizations, agencies and leaders, educators, faith-based institutions to increase awareness of and participation in the Girl Scout program.
- Identify and support trainings for volunteers and facilitators in order to maintain safe environments for girls in focus communities.
- Work with individuals of diverse backgrounds and ages, and accept the Girl Scout commitment to work with all without regard to age, race, ethnicity/culture, country of origin, religion, language, socio-economic status, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, neurodiversity, ability or political affiliation.
- Possess a collaborative approach and outlook; demonstrated ability to establish trust and professional relationships with staff across all levels of the organization; ability to work with divergent opinions; promote collaboration and exchange of ideas.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Work experience in membership sales, community organizing, sales, or other relevant or transferable experience.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software; adept at utilizing social networking; experience using Salesforce or demonstrated ability to learn and become proficient with new technology.
- Strong public relations skills and ability to develop community collaborations; able to relate well to both adults and children.
- Bilingual (Spanish) skill is preferred.
- Capacity to, independently and as part of a team, plan, organize and prioritize work, while managing multiple deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends, and be willing to travel throughout the council footprint.
- Requires transporting supplies to a variety of partners; ability to lift and manipulate up to 15 pounds, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- May involve prolonged periods of sitting or working on a computer.
- Must have access to reliable transportation to perform the duties of the job.
- Travel 60% within a designated region and 10% outside the region.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Commitment to Health and Safety: COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement
At Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, the physical and emotional safety of our Girl Scouts, our families, our volunteers, and our staff is our highest priority. We are taking a responsible approach to creating environments that allow us to embody the Girl Scout Promise and Law, require us to be considerate and caring, courageous, and strong, responsible for what we say and do, respectful of ourselves and others, respectful of authority and act as a sister to every Girl Scout. As part of GSEMA’s commitment to health and safety, all employees are required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 per GSEMA’s COVID-19 Vaccination Policy. GSEMA will consider exemption requests from individuals with medical conditions or sincerely held religious beliefs that prevent them from getting the vaccine.
About Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts
For over 100 years, Girl Scouts has empowered girls to lead, break barriers, and create positive change. Girl Scouts’ powerful all-girl space fosters collaboration over competition, and inspires girls to go beyond dreaming to actual doing. We offer amazing opportunities for forward-thinking, talented individuals who share our vision of helping girls and young women change the world for the better. Join our team of dedicated professionals and make a difference in girls' lives! To learn more about our Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, visit.
Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion.
At Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts, we strive to create transformative learning experiences and leadership opportunities for all girls. The threads of diversity and inclusion are woven tightly into our mission of supporting and nurturing girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
We hold firm in our belief that a culture of diversity and inclusion promotes unity, creates personal and professional growth opportunities for our employees, and supports safety and transformation for our volunteers and girls of all backgrounds.
Diversity and inclusion is more than an initiative; it is a set of shared values that defines the fabric of our mission.