Communications Manager 🔥
Job Title: Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Development
Supervises: Communications Associate
First Up is a non-profit that provides resources, support, and advocacy to the early childhood education community on behalf of young children, birth through age eight, in Southeastern Pennsylvania. The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development, supervises the Communications Associate, and is responsible for the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy to increase the visibility of First Up.
Develop and implement a comprehensive communications strategy in tandem with development to ensure timely and strategic campaigns to First Up constituents.
- Website. Oversees the performance of the website including but not limited to analysis of data (collection, measuring and understanding user activity) and create new ways to communicate via the website including but not limited to a blog, “program corner” and other tools in the future. This position will take on an editorial and content curator role for the website.
- Social Media. Responsible for increased presence and engagement, leading to growth of First Up’s social community. Leads the work with consultant(s) to create and launch a digital plan, develop benchmarks and goals for social media engagement, both short-term and long-term, as well as strategies and tactics for meeting goals. The Communications Manager will oversee and collaborate on content creation and identify social media trends. With Communications Associate and consultant, create a “thematic skeleton” for weekly postings to ensure a wide variety of programs and information are published evenly. Manage and track paid advertisements.
- Press/Media Relations. Responsible for drafting, distributing, and following-up on press releases in a timely manner. Maintains and cultivates relationships with media (radio, tv and print) to increase public awareness about all things First Up related, including public policy issues. Prepares all staff for interviews to help maximize organizational exposure. Prepare Executive Director and other members of the Senior Leadership Team with talking points and media coaching, as necessary. Work with Public Relations consultant when the time comes to become a nationally known brand.
- Events. Oversees the creation of event deliverables including, but not limited to save-the-dates and invites, event program books, video content and on-site event signage while maintaining brand awareness. This work will be in collaboration with Communications Associate and outside contractors.
- Electronic Newsletters. Oversees all aspects of email marketing platform including content creation/editing, design and layout collaboration and analysis of performance, ensuring all are mission aligned and meet strategic initiatives and brand awareness. Oversee the distinction between Advocacy newsletter (ECE focused) and E-Connection (family focused).
- Design Work. Oversees all design work in collaboration with Manager of Strategic Initiatives to ensure consistent branding.
- Staff liaison to Communications Committee and work closely with Chair of the Committee for goals and action items.
- Interface with other departments in the development and implementation of First Up Signature Events.
- Represent First Up at meetings, partner and community events, and professional conferences, as needed.
- Bachelor's level degree in communications, business or related field
- 5 years of communications experience in a service industry or with a nonprofit
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Ability to think strategically.
- Strong partnership-building skills.
- Proficient computer skills and knowledge of database programs.
- Current with communications platforms and tools.
- Good project management and time management skills are required.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Proficiencies in MS Office, including Outlook, Word, Excel, Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, Word Press or equivalent photo editing and graphic design platform.
- Local to Greater Philadelphia region strongly preferred.
First Up offers a hybrid work arrangement with in-person and remote work options available. Primarily, staff members work remotely but should be available for in-person meetings as projects and/leadership require. The hybrid work arrangement is in-effect for the foreseeable future.
First Up is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or job applicant on the basis of race, color, sex, gender, age, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, religion, disability, or public assistance status in the recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, transfer, layoff, recall and termination of employees. First Up is committed to building a diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment. Those who identify as BIPOC, LGBTQ+, and other members of underrepresented communities are encouraged to apply.