Youth Protection Specialist
Who We Are
FIRST® is the world’s leading youth-serving nonprofit advancing STEM education outcomes and the development of 21st century life skills. For more than 30 years, FIRST has evolved into a global movement by engaging millions of people with a proven game-changer for preparing kids to solve the world’s greatest problems. This legacy and opportunity is as strong and dynamic as ever, as FIRST creates the people who will change the world – today and tomorrow.
About This Role
We are seeking a collaborative individual who has the critical thinking skills and judgment to navigate complex investigations and issues among our participants. The Youth Protection Specialist role will be primarily responsible for responding to, investigating, and resolving complaints and concerns related to Youth Protection concerns reported by the FIRST community. This role will assist the YPP Manager in administering our background screening process and training requirements for volunteers.
The ideal candidate for this role will have strong attention to detail, experience investigating concerns involving youth and have outstanding conflict resolution, tact, and interpersonal skills. The incumbent will use considerable discretion and independent judgment in the performance of duties.
In return, we promise a fast-paced, exciting, and rewarding environment where you will be part of a team that cares about each other and thrives on each other’s successes. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that your work has a direct impact on our participants and their experience in our programs.
- Investigates Youth Protection or Code of Conduct related concerns and complaints submitted to FIRST HQ and determines appropriate resolution. Concerns may be related to issues such as discrimination, Code of Conduct violations, harassment, and other sophisticated issues with youth or volunteers
- Triage concerns reported through the safetyfirst@firstinspires in-box and online reporting portal; Responsible for an initial response, delegating to the appropriate department, initiating an investigation or advancing to Youth Protection Program Manager as appropriate
- Maintain accurate record-keeping of all incident reports received and ensure accurate resolution and follow up
- Assist Youth Protection Manager in coordinating the background screening process to include maintenance of records, adjudicating flagged screenings, answering questions from participants, and recommending improvements to the screening process
- Ensure compliance with both Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act regulations and FIRST internal policy for background screening and data protection
- Respond to community and partner requests for program information and training materials
- Collaborate with Youth Protection Program Manager and other departments to develop and disseminate training and resources on Youth Protection and related topics. Periodically review and update resources and training
- Research best practices in Youth Protection policies and training and assist Youth Protection Program manager with program improvements that ensure every FIRST participant has a high-quality experience
- Evaluate policies, practices and concerns with an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion lens
- Degree and/or minimum of two years’ experience in a same or similar role
- Experience conducting investigations, youth-based setting preferred
- Experience with data management and reporting using Microsoft Excel or other tools
- Experience with Tableau or other business intelligence tools a plus
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office products
- Must possess maturity, sound judgment, critical thinking, and an understanding of the organization’s responsibility to the youth and public
- Ability to maintain tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality
Commitment to FIRST® Core Values
Discovery: We explore new skills and ideas.
Innovation: We use creativity and persistence to solve problems.
Impact: We apply what we learn to improve our world.
Inclusion: We respect each other and embrace our differences.
Teamwork: We are stronger when we work together.
Fun: We enjoy and celebrate what we do!
Thriving on our core values, celebrating the uniqueness of our employees and committed to inclusion. Proud to be an.