Associate Editor, Culture
Sojourners has an immediate opening for an Associate Editor whose portfolio would include overseeing the culture and review department in our print magazine. We are looking for someone who is passionate about exploring expressions of faith, politics, and social transformation across multiple media and communities, including analysis of both damaging and life-giving messages and trends.
The right candidate will have a heart for justice, a desire to help tell important stories, and an understanding of the diverse religious landscape in America. They might be someone who has written reviews, profiles, and cultural analysis and would like to help others do the same, or they may combine editorial skills with other experience and interests related to the intersection of arts and culture with religion and social justice. We are looking for someone with excellent editing skills who will work collaboratively and creatively with our editorial staff to produce Sojourners magazine. This position can be based in the Washington, D.C. office once it is safe to return or be remote from anywhere, although some EST hours will be required.
- Compile and edit the Culture department of Sojourners magazine
- Co-produce email culture newsletter (“Inscribed”) in collaboration with the online culture editor
- Manage the editorial process for some feature articles
- Assist with other editing and proofreading as needed
- Write occasional reviews, commentaries, and features for Sojourners and sojo.net
- Manage books received for review
- Read and comment on articles in circulation
- Participate in planning of the magazine by attending weekly staff meetings and semi-annual retreats
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Theology or religion-related training and/or experience (some examples include a background in pastoral work or faith-based activism, religion journalism, academic degrees in theology or religion, or work with arts or culture institutions on religion- and social justice-related projects)
- Interest in arts, culture, and media (books, music, film, TV, social media, and more)
- At least two to four years of editorial experience, including copy writing, editing, and proofreading; proficiency with AP Style; work in magazine format and nonprofit journalism a plus
- Excellent writing, editing, and verbal communications skills; copyediting experience
- Awareness of issues affecting underrepresented communities; experience with arts, culture, and media rooted in communities of color a plus
- Ability to work independently as well as creatively with the editorial staff
- Experience in cross-platform content creation preferred
- Strong organizational skills for managing several projects and deadlines at once
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite; web content management skills a plus
- Desire to work in a Christian workplace that strives to continually deepen its commitments to social justice
- Understanding of Sojourners' place in the religious media landscape.