Senior Development Manager, Individual Giving
Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to ignite the potential of youth in under-resourced communities and equip them for high school, college and career success. BUILD’s unique program offers students a four-year entrepreneurship experience designed to develop 21st Century Skills and motivate student engagement in school. Starting in 9th grade, BUILD students work with their peers and community mentors to develop business ideas, pitch to funders and launch real businesses. As students journey through high school and continue to grow their businesses, BUILD helps them explore college and career options, and assists students with the college application process. Entrepreneurship is the hook – college, career, and life success are the goals.
BUILD currently serves approximately 2,000 high school students annually at programs located in the San Francisco Bay Area, Washington DC, New York City and Boston.
BUILD believes in the potential of every student and is dedicated to breaking down the educational, economic and social barriers that stand in the way of their long-term success. The remarkable young men and women whom we serve are at the center of everything we do. We are intentional about our culture so that we can best support them. Our culture thrives by embracing diversity, equity and inclusion, including cross-cultural understanding. We work in a collaborative environment where flexibility, creativity and an entrepreneurial spirit are encouraged and celebrated. Kindness, empathy and respect are at the forefront of the way we treat each other, our students, our teachers and our supporters.
BUILD is currently seeking an experienced fundraising professional to maintain and grow a 100+ constituent portfolio of individual donors. The Senior Development Manager, Individual Giving (SDMIG) will build relationships with new donors and cultivate relationships with existing BUILD donors through in-person meetings, site visits, increasing levels of program engagement and written and verbal communications. In addition, the SDMIG will provide leadership, direction, and coordination to strengthen and expand the pipeline for BUILD’s major gift efforts. This position is a member of the National Development Team and reports directly to the National Director of Philanthropy.
The SDMIG will be a key member of the National Development Team during a time of significant organizational growth, including helping the organization raise $15M towards our growth campaign over the next three years. By the end of year 2, this role will be expected to manage a portfolio of $500,000. The SDMIG will have specific responsibility for the following areas:
- Plans, develops, and oversees the implementation of creative stewardship and engagement strategies for donors
- Manages a portfolio of donor prospects, developing and implementing plans for cultivation and solicitation of these prospects in collaboration with National & Regional board members, appropriate volunteers, agency directors and development managers.
- Uses moves management processes for tracking the cultivation and solicitation of gifts relative to all initiatives, including strategy, gift level, solicitation time frame, specific time frame and solicitor
- Works with the Director of Philanthropy to formulate annual plans and strategies for achieving the SDMIG’s annual goals
- Orchestrates appointments, either for personal solicitation or for solicitors, volunteers and/or board members to meet with prospects for major gifts
- Actively expands the prospective donor base through prospect identification and research
- Directs acknowledgement of major donors by board and staff, as appropriate
- Works as a development team member to promote positive work environment
- Assists in other development projects as directed
- Passionate commitment to BUILD’s mission, vision, and strategic direction
- Minimum of 6 years of fundraising from individual donors cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a diverse portfolio of four, five, & six figure gifts
- Successful background of crafting, refining and/or managing a well-respected brand across a variety of communications platforms
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills; including the ability to develop and strengthen internal and external relationships and serve as a compelling spokesperson for BUILD in person and through a variety of mediums
- Ability to thrive effectively in a creative, dynamic, deadline-driven environment with humor
- Excellent project and process management skills and attention to detail
- Persuasive Communication: Plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact and persuade their intended audiences
- Interpersonal Skills: Consistently work in a collaborative way to garner support and consensus across a variety of teams and to connect with individuals across the organization
- Strategic Thinking: Take into account and analyze various points of view/relationships and pieces of data to form a perspective appropriate to a particular context/network. Translate business strategy into clear objectives and tactics at the program/department level.
- Takes Initiative: Capacity to see an issue and work towards rectifying it without waiting for instruction to do so
- Keep Students at the Center - As BUILDers, we hold an unwavering passionate commitment and belief in the power and potential of youth. Our organization exists to serve students. We seize each opportunity to contribute to the foundation of knowledge, skills, and networks from which students can build extraordinary lives. Our operating principles and decisions focus on what is in the best interest of our students.
- Bring the Spark - As BUILDers, we excel in the entrepreneurial Spark Skills that we teach our students - Communication, Collaboration, Problem Solving, Innovation, Grit and Self-Management. We communicate through transparent and honest dialogue. We cherish teamwork, tenacity, and thinking outside the box. We demonstrate a relentless pursuit of excellence and approach work with a positive can do attitude. When we bring the spark we achieve great things together, and we model the way for our students.
- Bridge Communities - As BUILDers, we develop and foster relationships in service of creating access and opportunities for our students, staff, and stakeholders. We value all who come to the table as partners to maximize our collective impact. By connecting the communities in which we work, we build empathy, equity, and social capital.
- Promote Diversity and Social Action - As BUILDers, we understand that Diversity, Equity and Inclusion matters, but what matters even more is Action. We strive to create equity of voice, access, influence and power across lines of difference – both in and beyond BUILD, specifically for groups that have been historically denied social and economic justice. If we are not part of the solution, then we are part of the problem. We welcome, celebrate, and embrace the unique expressions and contributions of us all – our backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, language, sexual orientation, and social class.
- Full Time/Exempt
- Location: Applicants must be located in the Boston or San Francisco area or be willing to relocate. The role functions mostly remote with the option for in person work at one of our BUILD office spaces. BUILD is currently operating entirely virtual through November 1, 2021 in response to the COVID-19 health crisis.
- Occasional extended travel (3-5 days) to remote sites is required during the year, as particular training and support needs arise. Work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed.
BUILD offers a competitive compensation & benefits package for eligible employees. This includes medical, dental & vision coverage, flexible spending accounts, life insurance, and a 403(b) plan with employer match. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for generous paid vacation, sick time, 11 paid holidays per year, a flexible work environment, and performance bonuses.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.