VoteShield, a project of Protect Democracy, seeks highly motivated Data Analysts to join our team. VoteShield’s platform supports election officials to maintain complete and accurate voter data in order to ensure free and fair elections for all qualified voters. In this role, you will analyze voter registration data, partner with election administrators, and grow your technical skills as a member of a world-class analysis and engineering team.
Ideal candidates will be critical thinkers with an understanding of data analysis techniques and the ability to distill findings into clear, accessible reports and presentations. You bring an interest in civic data, commitment to non-partisan analysis, and passion for defending and strengthening our democracy through free and fair elections.
We expect to hire multiple candidates in this role. Our current data analysis team comes from a variety of professional backgrounds including academia and the public and private sectors. As a result, we do not expect that any one candidate will have all of the experiences and requirements listed. We highly encourage you to apply If the job description gets you excited about the role.
You can work from any location in the United States, and candidates from diverse backgrounds and from across the political and ideological spectrum are strongly encouraged to apply.
Data Analysts will:
- Review and analyze changes in voter registration data in order to provide election officials with timely insights and answers to data questions.
- Write and present data reports that are accessible to the team, partners, and election administrators.
- Conduct legal research as needed to provide context for your reports.
- Expand and enrich our current data with external datasets.
- Create, refine, and document your standards for reporting, and compare and collaborate to develop best practices for the team.
- Build and maintain relationships with partners in the election community.
- Contribute to research that utilizes VoteShield’s unique dataset to assess election administration policies.
- Interest in public or civic data and commitment to data-driven and non-partisan analysis.
- Ability to communicate a clear story with data, both in writing and presenting, that describes the context, insights, conclusions and open questions.
- Proficient in Python or R. The team currently uses mostly Python, but are always experimenting with new tools.
- Growth mindset and comfort with ambiguity.
- Excellent critical thinking skills and ability to reason through novel problems and exercise good judgments about how to get to optimal solutions.
- Rigorous attention to detail and the highest standards for excellence in execution.
- Ability to track, prioritize, and, where necessary, triage work in order to use time in the most efficient and productive way.
- Comfort with an open and transparent culture that values feedback up, down and sideways.
- Collaborative orientation, including ability to work well with people with diverse backgrounds and to manage up, down, and sideways.
- Comfort working in a startup environment, proactively working to build the organization and figure out what’s needed to move your work forward.
- Has some experience in social science research
- Has some public policy knowledge
- Has some experience with election administration or voting data
- Has expertise in python