About the role
We are looking for a UI/UX Designer to help us raise the next $10 billion for charity by driving our Planned Giving user experience, and will take on a high level of responsibility across a variety of complex projects and user journeys. The Planned Giving team enables large end-of-life gifts to charities and facilitates nonprofits in outreach and stewardship of donors. You’ll learn a ton about the unique challenges we have in the nonprofit transformational giving industry, and work alongside an incredibly talented team of designers, UX researchers, developers, product managers, and many others in what you will find to be a thoughtful, intentional, joyful culture that cares about people, values work-life balance, and focuses on learning and growth.
To be a great fit, you have a track record of leading projects to successful outcomes for users and the business. You are a good cross-functional collaborator, kind and clear communicator, advocate for the voice of the user, and are able to take a solution from idea to implementation. You approach problems holistically, leveraging research insights and data from a variety of sources. At the same time, you fret the visual details. You uphold a high quality bar and create elegantly simple solutions to multi-faceted problems.
This role will report to our Director of UX & Product Design, Sheba Najmi, who reports directly to our co-CEO.
- Understand and lead the vision and key objectives for your product area alongside your product and engineering partners, with support from your manager and design function lead
- Consistently consider how your designs can support that vision, the team's goals, the broader Nonprofit Experience vision, and the company objectives
- Develop working understanding of the work of the other design teams, learning whom to go to for collaboration on project work
- In your design work, regularly reference product goals and speak about how your work relates to the broader product vision and company objectives
- Apply best practices, UX heuristics, design patterns, product principles, and a user-first perspective consistently
- Problem solve, think big, and explore divergent concepts/ideas while understanding how and when to converge and build iteratively towards your vision
- Explore contrasting approaches and be able to speak to the pros and cons of each
- Use research and data to influence the shape of the product and tell a holistic story, while executing high quality UI/UX designs via wireframes, mockups, specs, user journeys, and cross-platform interactive prototypes
- Communicate with compelling storytelling tailored to different audiences
- Bring others along on the journey by sharing your work and presenting cross-functionally, being receptive to input and feedback while being able to articulate design rationale
- Work collaboratively with other departments such as Partner Success and Sales, building relationships through your strengths in communication, listening, learning, and inclusiveness
- Use excellent time management skills to scale up, cut back, or reconsider solutions based on project objectives and resources
- Create excellent documentation with exceptional attention to detail
- 2+ years of experience working in UX, UI, or HCI related field
- Experience with accessibility and design systems
- Experience designing for responsive web
- Strong written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Proficient with design tools and interactive prototyping tools (Figma, Sketch, Photoshop, Illustrator, Invision, Principle, or equivalent)
- Strong UI and UX design craft, as well as systems thinking
- Experience with prioritizing workload in accordance with business priorities
- Ability to work with a low-ego, highly collaborative, cross-functional team
- Work from home
- Unlimited PTO
- Flexible hours
- Competitive salary
- Commuter benefits
- Company stock options
- Medical/Dental/Vision (some single coverage medical plans are 100% employer paid, subsidized rates for spousal, parent-child, and family coverage)
- Short-term and long-term disability insurance
- Life and AD&D insurance
- Free One Medical membership
- Paid parental leave for all parents
- Option to work from our new, beautiful NYC office, located in the Financial District
- Fully paid trips, such as an annual work retreat in a relaxing location
- Staff holidays and FreeDays (periodic one day office closures to rest and refresh)
- Regular (virtual) team events
- $250 monthly co-working budget which can be used for local co-working spaces (for team members located outside of the NYC metro only).
- $300 annual budget to outfit your home office or cover utility bills
- $1,000 referral bonuses for growing our FreeWill community
- $1,000 annual professional development budget
FreeWill is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We are committed to finding talent that is not determined on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are a remote-first company that’s able to hire in 47 states and D.C. Unfortunately, we are unable to hire in Colorado, Alabama, or Louisiana at this time. We also can’t sponsor working visas, so all applicants will need to have work authorization in the US.
Excited about our mission? Success in serving nonprofit partners requires our dedication to building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive team. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and all walks of life to apply. We can’t wait to learn with and from you.